I have just got an Olympus 60mm lens to start taking some macro pictures and I am trying to use manual settings rather than auto. I am stuck when it comes to moving the shutter speed above 160 when the flash is on. I have tried to look at the instructions but they don't mention anything.
Is it a problem with this sort of camera or am I doing something wrong?
You're not doing anything wrong. The maximum flash sync speed of the E-PM1 is 1/160. Once you attach the flash the maximum shutter speed you can set is locked at 1/160.
Gudge is correct that is a limitation of this camera I believe the EM-5 has 1/250 sync speed but any other mirrorless from Olympus stops at 1/160
For macro your starting point is f/22 ISO200 and 1/160
Unfortunately at those shutter speeds it will be near to impossible to have black background
Thank you for your replys guys. I think it may be time to upgrade.
You could always just use an external flash, which should go around that limit, and would cost less than getting a new body(though a new E-PL5/6 does sound a bit tempting once they get to E-PL3 prices).
(though a new E-PL5/6 does sound a bit tempting once they get to E-PL3 prices).
I'd be rather wary of Olympus ATM.
They've just announced discontinuance of all of their P&S Line of cameras and they "have form" otherwise of abandoning their customers - their DSLR line (also discontinued when they virtually invented the mirrorless camera) is one of two examples I could name.
Having said that, I think they make some great camera gear and I really hope they don't go away entirely to concentrate on their profitable medical division.
Well not to get off topic, but the rumors going around is Olympus plans to bring out a model one step above the OMD, and will allow users to use 4/3 and m4/3 lenses. So, I can't say they are really abandoning their DSLR users, just wanting to move them to their mirrorless system.