Occasionally I try to shoot a little video with my D7000. I don't seem to be able to find a set of AF mode and area settings that allow the focus to hold. I understand that the focus will never be as good as a dedicated video camcorder, but I don't seem to do very well regardless of the settings that I select. I've got to be missing something.
Would appreciate any suggestions.
TIA
I do a bit of video on my Nikon D7000, mainly with the Tokina 10-17mm. The Tokina is very forgiving with focusing especially if you shooting in at 10mm. I leave the AF on AF-S and what I do is focus through the viewfinder first and then turn on liveview for the video. Trying to use AF through liveview will make it hunt and it bascially isnt worth bothering with.
Here is a video I knocked up with the Tokina 10-17mm and the D7000 using the same method........(watch in HD so you can see how sharp it is)
Regards Mark
Mark,
Nice video. I understand that using the 10-17, you get a very large DOF and probably reduce or eliminate the need to refocus during the shot. That will work fine with WA or FE shots.
Normally I'm shooting smaller stuff with either my 17-70 close to the 70 mm end, or 60 mm micro lens.. Will the same technique work reasonably well?
I've been doing some testing at home with my 60 mm and it does not want to refocus after I've started shooting and change the camera to subject distance enough to throw the pic out of focus.
Also I assume that you're using AF-S with single point selected. Auto area has never worked well for me with AF-S.
Thanks for your advice.
Harry
Hi Harry.
Yes AF-S with single point. The same technique will work for other lenses as long as the subject doesnt move around much. I think alot of people who are shooting small stuff are using tripods or the larger sized Gorillapods (cheap ones from China).
Simply forget trying to AF with liveview just doesnt work.
Regards Mark
Same here, AF-S, although I leave it on multi point through laziness. You need to think in terms of single clips of a specific subject, rather than making up your mind as you're recording.
Choose the subject, focus then record the clip. Refocus for the next clip, record, etc. You can refocus during a clip but you would want to edit out the refocussing section.
Excellent advice. I pretty much shoot the stills as you outline, but the video info is great. I'm headed to Fiji in a couple days and will try all this new knowledge.
Thanks again, Mark & Panda.
Harry
Noted that all of this knowledge came from Oz!!!
No problem divengolfenfish,
Anyway I think I learned all I know from Aussiebyron