Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Stop Illegal Fishing at Ras Mohammed

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Stop Illegal Fishing at Ras Mohammed

5 posts
  1. I've signed

  2. Me too. What is happening at Ras seems to have happened already further south. I had a trip there last month - about 140kms south of Marsa Alam based at Lahami Bay. We went on some day boat trips out into the Fury Shoals and were stunned by the lack of fish. OK, plenty of anthias and such around the coral heads and a few small groups (I hesitate to call them shoals) of goatfish and small snappers of maybe 20/30 individuals - but just lots of clear water with almost nothing in it. The last time I went south was ten years ago (Brothers) and the change is phenomenal.

    We asked our Egyptian run dive centre about it, hoping perhaps it was a seasonal issue but no, they said it was all down to unregulated over-fishing. They also said that close inshore among the shallow reefs which are inaccessible to fishermen, the fish life was still good. We then did a lot of shore diving and found they were right. Spent a lot of dives on the hotel house reef at no more than 8m depth with a huge variety of fish and many of good size.

    I don't know if this accords with the experiences of Red Sea regulars but I must say I found it pretty depressing.

  3. Signed it and put it on my Facebook page.

     

    Joe

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.