Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Extension rings for Tokina 10-17. Options?

Started by steelhead ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Extension rings for Tokina 10-17. Options?

6 posts
  1. I am in the process of upgrading from a D70 in an Aquatica housing to a D7000 in an Aquatica housing. I have also recently picked up the Tokina 10-17, which I would like to use with the new rig.

     

    I am currently running the 8" dome and the charts on the Aquatica page list the 16.5 mm (18456) extension as being the one to use. However it seems like some people do not run an extension ring at all with this combo. Is that true, or am I mis-interpreting some other posts?

     

    I already have a longer extension 28.5mm (18453) that I used with the D70 kit lens. Any chance I could use this, or is it so long that the shade will show at the wide end of the zoom? This may be a stupid question but I don't have the housing in hand yet or I would just try it out myself. Thanks for the help.

  2. I used a 15 mm with an 8"Subal dome.

     

    Better IQ than not using an ext ring

  3. I am using the 18456 extension on my Aquatica AD7000 with the 8 inch dome and Tokina 10-17mm. You can use the Aquatica 100mm mini dome without an extension ring with the Tokina 10-17mm.

     

    The 18453 extension is for when you want to use the Kenko 1.4x Tc with either 8inch or 100mm mini dome.

     

    Regards Mark

  4. Mark, the 18456 extension is required with the 4" Minidome, other wise the front of the lens will come in contact with the inside of the dome lens. with the larger dome (6", 8" and 9.25" you can always dispense of it as there is enough clearance, but i Still recommend it for better corner performance),

     

    here is a list of what you would need for using a Tokina 10-17mm on a Aquatica housing.

     

    18410 4" Minidome port

    18456 Port Extension

    48717 Zoom gear

     

    Indeed the 18453 is the recommended extension when shooting the Tokina 10-17mm with a Kenko TC 1.4x, the zoom gear in this case would be 48731

  5. Thanks Jean. I stand corrected. I remembered using the mini dome with a fisheye without the extension but it must of been the 10.5mm Nikkor fisheye not the Tokina. As you said I use the 18456 port extension with the 8inch dome and Tokina 10-17mm which is what I mainly shoot 95% of the time anyway.

     

    Regards Mark

  6. Yes Mark, I do remember you shooting with a 10.5mm at one time and you would not use the 18456 with this specific lens.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.