Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Kevlar Gloves - Recommendations

Started by Oceanshutter ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Kevlar Gloves - Recommendations

5 posts
  1. My wife and I are headed to the Galapagos in a couple of months, and a couple of Wetpixel members have recommended getting Kevlar gloves to hold onto the rocks. Does anyone have any recommendations for brands/styles that work good with a camera in your hands?

     

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Dustin

  2. Dustin

    I have a pair for cold water diving that have lasted years - no idea what brand. Just a word of caution if you get any: don't ever wipe the bubbles off your port/dome with them when you first get in the water. They have the potential to scratch. This may seem obvious but I had always done that prior to getting them and it was difficult to change the habit.

    Edited by JimG
  3. I used Seasoft kevlar gloves, they are well made. I took one dive at Wolf with my camera and found that it is very hard to hold on to a rock for your dear life and a camera as well. For the subsequent dives at Wolf and Darwin I dove without my camera so I had two hands free to hold on.

    Edited by eyu
  4. Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips.

     

    Dustin

  5. I have used Kevlar gloves but found them too bulky for use with a camera. I always wear gloves at my local dive site as it often a need to holding onto rocks or mooring lines covered with barnacles. I used the Mares Amara gloves in either 2 or 3mm as I find them comfortable and not too bulky. They take a couple of dives to break in but after that fit perfectly and allow you to use controls without any effort.

     

    Regards Mark

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.