Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Help with stuff from Anialo

Started by seansrs968 ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Help with stuff from Anialo

16 posts
  1. I just recently went on a trip to Anialo. The fun part is now trying to id all the stuff. I don't even know where to start to id most of the tiny stuff I took pics of. I need some help iding the following:

     

    http://www.seansydnorphotography.com/p802662062/h6c3cafae#h62183c97

     

     

    http://www.seansydnorphotography.com/p802662062/h6c3cafae#h65b760a9

     

    http://www.seansydnorphotography.com/p802662062/h65a6837c#h65a6837c

     

     

     

    Thanks..

     

    Sean

    Edited by seansrs968
  2. The second is a scorpionfish.

    Frank

  3. Thanks..I thought so but was not sure..man there is some wild stuff in Anialo.

  4. Hi Sean!

     

    1: Juvenile Bi-color Parrotfish (Cetoscarus bicolor)

     

    2: Devil Scorpionfish (Scorpaenopsis diabolus)

     

    3: Good question! :)

     

    -Morten

  5. 3rd one could be Ascidonia sp. a tiny shrimp symbiotic shrimp that lives with host tunicates.

  6. 4th one looks like a version of the soft coral shrimp Alcyonohippolyte maculata (bottom of p92 in Reef Creature Identification - Tropical Pacific by Humann & Deloach)

  7. Brian, which edition of Reef Creature Identification are you referring to (mine is first edition - 2010) or has Hippolyte sp. 1 or 2 now been described?

  8. I'm using this book, maybe it's a 2nd edition, but it doesn't say. Alcyonohippolyte maculata was described in 2011 according to this page on WORMS

  9. That last one is a Hidden Corallimorph Shrimp (Pilopontonia furtiva)

  10. That last one is a Hidden Corallimorph Shrimp (Pilopontonia furtiva)

    Thanks Brian..you have to admit there are some weird critters in Anilao lol.

  11. Lol! Look for Pompom or Boxer Crabs and you will find it.

  12. The Boxer Crab is Lybia tessellata. Here's a shot of mine of the species, also from Anilao.

     

  13. Re. the first one, Randall in "Reef and Shore Fishes of the South Pacific" (2005) says that Cetoscarus bicolor is local to the Red Sea, and that the rest are actually Cetoscarus ocellatus, "spotted parrotfish". And Allen & Erdmann's "Reef Fishes of the East Indies" (2012) only features C. ocellatus and doesn't mention C. bicolor at all. I went ahead and re-labelled all of mine. Apologies for pedantry.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.