Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Seacam Domeport for Sigma 15mm FE with D800

Started by Bobu ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Seacam Domeport for Sigma 15mm FE with D800

9 posts
  1. I've ordered a Seacam housing for my D800 which will arrive in a few days.

    Since I would like to do a lot of half-half shots I decided to get the Superdome together with the housing.

     

    I'm affraid that for snorkeling trips where I don't have the chance for great half-half shots the SD is just a bit too cumbersome.

     

    Therefore I plan to get a second smaller domeport especially for snorkeling trips. I would use this domeport mainly with my Sigma 15mm Fisheye lens and quite often without any flash.

     

    With Seacam I have the following options:

     

    1. Wideport WP

     

    2. Fisheyeport FP

     

    3. Fisheye Makro Port

     

    Which port would you recommend and why?

     

    I would like to have sharp corners (at least stopped down at f/11) and be able to shoot close up portraits of small fish.

     

    Boris

  2. I've ordered a Seacam housing for my D800 which will arrive in a few days.

    Since I would like to do a lot of half-half shots I decided to get the Superdome together with the housing.

     

    I'm affraid that for snorkeling trips where I don't have the chance for great half-half shots the SD is just a bit too cumbersome.

     

    Therefore I plan to get a second smaller domeport especially for snorkeling trips. I would use this domeport mainly with my Sigma 15mm Fisheye lens and quite often without any flash.

     

    With Seacam I have the following options:

     

    1. Wideport WP

     

    2. Fisheyeport FP

     

    3. Fisheye Makro Port

     

    Which port would you recommend and why?

     

    I would like to have sharp corners (at least stopped down at f/11) and be able to shoot close up portraits of small fish.

     

    Boris

    The fisheye port does very well with full frame cameras and fisheye lenses. It also offers the very nice advantage of being able to use the 60mm micro-Nikkor (new style) behind the dome port without any port extensions. The fisheye macro port I believe has issues with the big sunshades on the Sigma 15mm and therefore problematic. I use one with my Canon 15mm and 8-15, but have been told the Sigma 15mm wouldn't work without shaving the shades. The wide port is less money, but your corners will be likely better with the fisheye port. Fisheye port would be my choice for the criteria you describe.

  3. Thanks Stephen!

     

    I would be willing to shave the shade of the Sigma lens, if necessary.

     

    How would the Fisheyeport and the Fisheye Makro Port compare, especially regarding corner sharpness?

     

    Boris

  4. Thanks Stephen!

     

    I would be willing to shave the shade of the Sigma lens, if necessary.

     

    How would the Fisheyeport and the Fisheye Makro Port compare, especially regarding corner sharpness?

     

    Boris

    All I can compare is the fisheye macro port, in my experience, with Canon. It is quite nice at f8 and smaller with both 15 mm and 8-15. I have no reason to believe your Sigma w

    ould not be a good performer in this port. The Nikkor 16 m does not focus near enough, but Sigma is fine. Aside from shades on the lens, a good solution, and far different ergonomics for free diving than superdome or fisheye port. Easier to light close focus WA subjects too.

  5. Thanks Stephen!

     

    The Fisheye Makro Port sounds like an interesting solution and a good complement to my Superdome for snorkeling and free diving trips.

     

    I've also contacted Harald Hordosch and will see what he will recommend.

     

    Boris

  6. HI Boris,

    I have used the 10/17FE Tokina with the widedome port & had some very good results.

    I am upgrading to a D800 now so I will be trying to see how it is with the same domeport.

    I also have the super dome port as well, but the wide port is a lot smaller & easier to get in

    tighter places.

    Regards,

    Andy.

  7. Thanks Andy!

     

    At the moment I tend to get the Fisheye Makro Port, but it will be interesting to read your experiences with the wide port.

     

    Boris

  8. Hi Boris,

    Paul Kay the Seacam distributor in the UK has a Demo Fisheye macro Port for sale i think he had them on Wetpixel in the classified section,

    if it helps.

    reagards,

    Andy.

  9. Thanks Andy, I will have a look at the classified section.

     

    Boris

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.