Aloha,
I've just posted a little about myself in the introductions forum so I'll try not to repeat myself too much here, as am sure I will end up posting more than I intend to. Skip sections as necessary.
(About me:)
I've been working as an underwater videographer for the last 4 months in Thailand but have come home to save some money for a couple of months, with the intention of buying a camera. My first camera (besides a GoPro, which I've lost a lot of faith in). I was lucky enough to try many camera's whilst out there and talk to many professionals/regulars about their kit of choice. I'm someone who likes to do a ton of research before they commit to something pricey. That being said, I'm also a sucker for making my mind up early on, and then being too stubborn to want to change it.
(About the Camera:)
I've got my eye on the Canon G15. Having fallen in love with my friends g12, I honestly feel its the best choice for me right now. I'm keen to try my hand at more photography, though video is where my true passion lies. I've read a ton of reviews and am really happy with the sound of the g15, and even got to borrow a friends for a while (on land). Just to be on the safe side, I figured it might be a good idea to ask for advice that anyone may have, just incase I'm about to make a disastrous mistake. My budget can't stretch for a DSLR or anything too high end right now, but I need something with more control than a compact so I think the G15 seems like a good option for me.
(About a Housing:)
I've also done a ton of research on housings, before I settled on my preferred camera. However my budget is quite limited. I've used a few Ikelite's and, though they did sometimes drive me mad, they are relatively cheap and robust. Here is a short list of a few housings I've considered, in order of the cheapest available prices I've found:
Fantasea £330
Ikelite £420
Patima £610
Nauticam £675
Recsea £680
In all honesty, I'd love an aluminium housing, but I'm tempted to suck it up and go for the fantasea as money is a huge deciding factor here, I do look after my kit, and it has the option for the Bigeye wet lens for £170ish (if anyone has an opinion on that too?) as add-ons wont be an affordable option for me with the other housings.
If anyone has any advice on a housing in particular it would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, my money is quite limited, it is my first camera so I'm not looking to go pro right away, I just need something cheap and diverse for the next year or so. Thanks for reading, apologies for blabbing.
~Z~