I have been looking to upgrade the housing for my canon 5dii. I have a friend who is getting rid of his 1ds iii aquatica setup and am debating between buying his and getting a used 1ds iii or just upgrading my 5dii. I like the idea of having a second setup for a backup. I notice most serious photographers that use nikon tend to be sticking with the 5d ii. What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Jim
The files are stellar on Canon 1DMk3, but you will find it is fairly slow to write to buffer and won't have high iso capabilities like a more contemporary camera. The 5D3 is a far more capable camera, as you would expect of camera evolution. But, if the focus is not particularly challenging, and the light is good, and the pace of the shoot not too rapid, the files rendered are beautiful in the 1DsMk3. I still use one, along with a 1Dmk4 (which fits in same housing). But, I also have a 5D3. For full frame, 5d3 is clear preference. But, I still love 1.3 crop of mk4.
Thanks for the reply. If you had the choice between a 5d ii and a 1ds iii in the same housing with all other equipment the same, which would you prefer?
Hmmm. 1ds3 or 5d2? Gotta go with 5d2 for video capability alone. Focus and files seem similar, but high iso better 5d2, weather proofing for topside better 1ds3. Viewfinder better 1ds3. Still, considering all, and also factoring in smaller form factor of 5d2 for uw housing, I'd prefer 5d2.
Hmmm. 1ds3 or 5d2? Gotta go with 5d2 for video capability alone. Focus and files seem similar, but high iso better 5d2, weather proofing for topside better 1ds3. Viewfinder better 1ds3. Still, considering all, and also factoring in smaller form factor of 5d2 for uw housing, I'd prefer 5d2.
Great, thanks. Saved me a bunch in an upgrade I hadn't even thought about the video aspect...