Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Underwater Images Contest - Congrats!

Started by james ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Underwater Images Contest - Congrats!

5 posts
  1. Underwater Images Contest - Congrats!

    Don't know if this has been posted before - my apologies if I'm late to the party (hey, I'm from California):

     

    Congrats to Judy Johnson (1st), Kasey (3rd), and Marriard (Hon Mention) for their wins in the Underwater Images competition:

     

    http://www.uwimages.org/2004/gallery/digital.htm

     

    So - what did you guys win? :-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. Re: Underwater Images Contest - Congrats!

    Congrats to Judy Johnson (1st), Kasey (3rd), and Marriard (Hon Mention) for their wins in the Underwater Images competition:

     

    http://www.uwimages.org/2004/gallery/digital.htm

     

    So - what did you guys win? :-)

     

    Thanks,

     

    Well so far as I can tell I won being on the front page of their website for the next year :-) I find it amusing that I got 'Honarable mention' but of over 50 images selected (including hon mentions), I have the first image on the front page... Ah well - maybe it just fit best :-)

     

    I have no idea if I won anything at all - I'll ping Kasey tonight and see if he has heard anything. It may be that I won nothing except the 'hon. mention'.

     

    I have been involved in a private discussion where intially Kasey pointed out to me that the digital contest looked far and away the most competitive of any of the categories. Any of the digital winning entries could justifiably taken 1st or 2nd in some of the film categories especially wide angle where I really like the first place image, but not the rest.

     

    I talked to the judges (Mike & Mike) and they seemed to agree. I didn't take to Stephen Frink who also judged the competition so I'll let him speak for himself...

     

    M

  3. Funny you bring that up. I was looking at the images that were submitted in the contest for Beneath the Sea and thought the very same thing. Overall I felt that there was a higher level of competition in the digital category. Here's to hoping that the major contests start to treat film and digital equally sooner rather than later.

     

    Tom

  4. "digital" is not a category!

    Part of the inequity is that digital is a category unto itself - but slides are evaluated by category wide angle, macro, divers, etc. It can't be long now until contest organizers realize that "digital" is not a photographic style!

  5. It can't be long now until contest organizers realize that "digital" is not a photographic style!

     

    "Photographic style" - I never thought of it that way before, but I can see how others do. Very insightful comment.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.