any experience with this lens? does it fit in an Aquatica port/extension combination?
- 7Posts
- 7Replies
Read-only discussion
Sigma 150 macro
-
-
I use one (the pre-OS version) with my Aquatica FF system. It has a great reputation for sharpness which I can confirm. In fact, I think it is the sharpest lens I own. The downside is that focussing is a little slow; maybe the latest one is better. Not sure what extension Aquatica would recommend but I just use it with the 18457 which I have for my 17/40 zoom.
-
I just used it on my last trip to the Philippines (the non-OS version), great for when you're shooting with a full frame DSLR (used with the 5dmk3 and the Aquatica A5dmk3 housing). I used the 18462 port extension. I was able to use it with the Aquatica Close Up kit as well.
Very fast AF, very sharp lens.
S.
-
I tried the lens on a d-300. It was certainly sharp (see photo) but did not focus as fast as my AF-105-VR and i did not gain much working distance. The lens is currently on ebay wit a shot taken with it.(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-EX-150mm-Macro-F-2-8-APO-HSM-DG-Lens-For-Nikon-/221243683524?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item338326b2c4)
-
It is not just about working distance, which only matters when shooting life size. If for some shot you can't get closer than X then the 150mm will give you 150/105 higher magnification. If you like to shoot fish then that matters, if you shoot stationary critters where you can always get as close as you want then the benefit is less.
Bart
-
I have the sigma 180 macro - also f/2.8 and with OS (image stabilization), and I am planning to use it underwater but have not done so yet - I need to get a port extender first.
I tried it with a Nauticam outfit and while I had the right extender, the internal diameter of the front part of the port would not fit the lens.
I will try it with my Seacam system when I get the right port extender.
I want it for working distance and/or higher magnification at the same working distance.
-
Bart-
The 150 for shooting fish is great except for the slow autofocus.
Tom