Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Older aquatica gear

Started by team2jnd ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Older aquatica gear

8 posts
  1. Has aquatica changed their ports at all? I was thinking about buying a friends gear for his 20d. I would only want to do it if I could use his ports on an aquatica housing for my 5d ii. Are the ports the same? I know they are bayonet style but I want to make sure they haven't changed in style or quality. He doesn't know the model number for the ports but one is a macro (with adjustment knob) and the other is an 8" dome.

    Thanks,

    Jim

  2. Why not just call Aquatica and ask them?

  3. Why not just call Aquatica and ask them?

    I did but I live in Hawaii so there is a 6 hour time difference and they are closed. I was just hoping somebody on here might know. If not, I will call tomorrow morning.

  4. I think they changed from a screw thread to bayonet way back in the 1990's, long before the 20D. Since bayonet fitting was introduced, all housings accept them. There have been some mods to the macro port but not at the bayonet end. I still use one of the first bayonet focussing macro ports on my system - I guess it must be 15+ years old. All I have done is replace the perspex/glass front. My 8" dome is a similar vintage. I am sure you will be OK

  5. I think they changed from a screw thread to bayonet way back in the 1990's, long before the 20D. Since bayonet fitting was introduced, all housings accept them. There have been some mods to the macro port but not at the bayonet end. I still use one of the first bayonet focussing macro ports on my system - I guess it must be 15+ years old. All I have done is replace the perspex/glass front. My 8" dome is a similar vintage. I am sure you will be OK

    Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I will try and call them tomorrow to confirm but thank you just in case I can't get in touch with them.

  6. Hi Jim, Just a quick note to confirm what JimG has answered is correct, the Aquatica bayonet port opening has not changed and and all your ports, extensions and gears will work on the Aquatica 5D MKII. Lucky Jean our technical guru is off at The Digital Shootout in Bonaire, he will be back next week.

  7. Well, diving is great in Bonaire for sure, but I am still working! ;-)

     

    The Macro port you describe is the # 18426 AF/MF Macro Port, the 8'' dome is the # 18405, there is possibly a removable dome shade on the dome port as well.

     

    The gear diameter are the same between the 20D and 5D Mk II housings, (we did changed them on the 5D Mk III, to a bigger diameter), and the ports and accessory are pretty much all the same, apart from the O-ring kit.

  8. Well, diving is great in Bonaire for sure, but I am still working! ;-)

     

    The Macro port you describe is the # 18426 AF/MF Macro Port, the 8'' dome is the # 18405, there is possibly a removable dome shade on the dome port as well.

     

    The gear diameter are the same between the 20D and 5D Mk II housings, (we did changed them on the 5D Mk III, to a bigger diameter), and the ports and accessory are pretty much all the same, apart from the O-ring kit.

    Thank you so much. I am glad to hear it because I bought the equipment before I saw your responses. It will be a while before I can get the aquatica housing for my 5d ii, I need to raise some money first but knowing I have the right ports already is a great start.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.