I'm wondering have anyone tried this lens for underwater photography? It's capable of doing macro, so I would thing it should be popular amoung SLR underwater photography as you get the best of both macro and regular shot. Any specific housing manufacturer supports it?
Would like to hear experience from crop frame and full frame SLR users.
Thanks!
This is a very cool lens, and would be my first choice at this time for a mid-range zoom for Canon full frame underwater. The macro mode isn't supported by any housing manufacture at this time, though. Entering macro mode involves holding down a switch while zooming past 70mm to activate what is essentially a built in extension tube for reduced MFD and increased magnification. I'm not saying that it couldn't be done in a housing...
For cropped sensor use, I'd still take Sigma 17-70.
Thanks! Just learned about the switch to activate the macro mode after watching Youtube review. I guess it's just a matter of waiting for housing manufacturer to get to it. Will research about the Sigma, they seems to have quality control issue in the past, will see what are there up to these days.
Even if someone makes a gear that supports the macro switch, I'm not sure it will be usable. The lens really needs to be used in a dome if you are at all interested in the 24-35 range, and placed perfectly so that when fully extended it will be at the back of the dome. The lens focuses very close when macro is engaged, so the subject will be mm from the front, and closer than I'd want to a soft acrylic port or an expensive glass one.