Interesting article in Slate:
Nothing too new, but still interesting and exposure to such an issue not in a dive magazine is good.
Read-only discussion
Interesting article in Slate:
Nothing too new, but still interesting and exposure to such an issue not in a dive magazine is good.
Thanks, that was a good article.
I have been diving Belize for over 25 years. About 15 years ago I saw my first Lionfish on the reefs. I was thrilled to see this fish in the wild. Now every time you dive there you will see them everywhere. 25 + on every dive. They really are taking over the environment there. They now serve them in all the eateries. The dive masters have been training the groupers to eat them. They swallow them whole. It really is something to see. There is no real solution on controlling this invasive creature. Another thing. Recently I was shopping at a Wegmans market in New Jersey and they had fresh Lionfish in their fish market. For a while Belize had a bounty on the fish. This was not very effective and has been discontinued. All I can say is eat them when you can. Overfishing can be part of the solution in this case.
Yes, our local Wegman's recently had lionfish i n the seafood section, also. I was very encouraged to see that.
There is a super nice non profit of shore of Belize (in reality closer to Honduras) that fight the Lionfish invasion.
ReefCi base their operation from an island, where you sleep and leave for 5 days, that's pretty rustic, and my kids (10 and 13) survived there without internet for 3 all weeks. 15 dives a weeks, when your only objective (if you are not learning how to dive) is to hunt and spear lionfish. A tonne of presentation about ocean conservation and creatures in the area. Worse it.
This is not an hidden commercial for them, I have been there 6 week total in my life, and my a larges number of my collegues have been there as well, only trying to help, get those M******* of Lionfish, out of the ocean.
Cheers
https://reefci.com/island-accommodation/
looks neat, I will have to look further into it, maybe can travel there w.o. too much Covid hassle.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.