I originally met Al Chan when he signed up as a guest on a trip to the Cocos Islands that I was leading. He became a repeat client and a real friend over the years. For those who did not know him, Al was probably the most centered man I have ever met. He always seemed to be at peace with himself and he greatly enriched my life from just knowing him. I was fortunate to have been able to host him in my home when he came to San Diego to visit his son. Whether he was in Tahiti or the Coco Islands or any number of other dive spots, you could always find Al in the ship's hammock when he wasn't in the water. Al had been out of diving for the last couple of years due to illness though we kept in semi frequent touch. I only now discovered that he passed away from liver cancer last March 20th, soon after my return from Anilao with a small group.
Al, you will be missed; you are missed and thank you for letting us become friends.