Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Yet another 3D Red Epic Housing

Started by Drew ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Yet another 3D Red Epic Housing

13 posts
  1.  

    Looking at this design, it seems to be designed for single person use and is much smaller and lighter than the film Imax housing. Look at the lights. So little power compared to the line fed halogens Howard uses.

    It's really nicely weighted neutral. See how he moves it around relatively easily? It is massive though compared to a Gates Atom but it's good to see ingenuity at work in custom designs.

  2. Wow. Cabin luggage it is not. Looks pretty well trimmed and the diver could turn it on a dime. I would love to see the footage from the 3D Epics. Soon 3D Epic Dragon. On the big screen I am sure it will be awesome.

  3. Go visit them in Laguna Beach. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

    Here's a closeup of the housing.

     

    7543564478_d93a7c6768_b.jpg

     

     

    It can take Red Epic, F5/35/55. Phantom 65. Can you imagine 3D 2000fps? :)

    Edited by Drew
  4. Mahi-mahi in full breach would be fantastic using the Phantom. Then again you need a jib to haul this thing out of the water.

  5. Or a stabilized topside rig. I was thinking of jaw snapping sharks and birds hitting baitfish. :)

  6. Wow, that's impressive. That has got to look amazing on a big screen.

  7. Bloody huge but I bet it is super stable to shoot with. I am leaving next week to shoot with Pawel Achtel's 3D rig, there will be two on a shoot which I actually think will be the first 3D underwater multi camera shoot. I will let you know how it goes.

  8. Jonny, are you and Pawel just going to shoot each other shooting? :)

    Thinking about this rig, I can't imagine the poor boat crew who have to lug this thing on the boat, without a crane!

  9. hi Jon

     

    Is Pawel going to use two 3D rigs with two different interaxials? He has side by side configuration. Just wondering is the adjustment going to be in post. Sorry for all the questions. One reason why Red Epic 3D rigs has to be the size of a Tut Tut is because of the beamsplitter mirror rig inside. These type of rig requires enormous front flat ports. The adjustment and control obviously allows for perfectly matching lens and movement to reduce aberrations and less work in post. Beamsplitters are not so useful for wide angle but perfectly great for medium to close up work. Pawel's rig has two NikV 15mm wide lens on them. Being side by side makes the housing very compact. I really wish I could try my hands on one. May be next year. Might plan an Aussie trip to shoot some Weedys/Leafys and White pointers. Have a great shoot. Love to see some footage if allowed.

     

    Cheers

    David

    Edited by CheungyDiver
  10. Hi Guys,

     

    No drew we have another guy to film us filming ;)

    I don't believe that the IA can be adjusted and from what I can gather we can't shoot anything closer than say 1.5m but his design is really for wide angle / big subjects. He has also developed a wet beam splitter with two Deep X housings but I haven't seen that and I don't think it is finished as yet.

     

    Jon

  11. Okay. Gotcha. The whales are pretty big even for the humpback calf. Although the calf could get really close. I think you guys going to get some stunning footage.

     

    Brilliant idea to hook up two Deep X and an external mirror beamsplitter rig. I wonder which forum inspired Pawel with that idea ;)? He will need some seriously good rig to stop all the movement. Salt water resistant stages. I can't wait to see that set up.

     

     

    Cheers

     

    David

  12. Impressive!!!

  13. That's insane!!

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.