I've been shooting a D2x in a Nexus housing for many years. Am finally looking at upgrading my underwater rig to a Nauticam housing for the D4 or the D800. I currently own a D4 camera which is used a lot for topside wildlife photography where the rapid frame rate is a must. I'm used to the large size of the Nexus housing for the D2x and am wondering if those of you who are familiar with both systems - a Nauticam housing for the D4 and a Nexus housing for the D2x would find that they are similar in size and handling underwater. I would be interested in hearing your comments on that. In Dallas I am not anywhere close to a dealer to actually see and feel the Nauticam housing for either camera. Fiberoptics and TTL in the D800 would be nice but I have always shot fully manual camera and manual strobes - Ikelite 125's - so shooting all manual strobes would not be a deal breaker. I think I might likely switch to something like the Sea and Sea YS D1's in order to have a smaller package with more variability in settings.
Since I currently own a nice array of ports and extensions for the Nexus I would be using the adpater ring for the Nauticam and continue using my existing ports. Would also love to hear from anyone else who is doing the same and how it is working for them.
Thanks for any input.
Judy Johnson
Hi,
Sent a PM to you.
Sam
I faced a similar decision not long ago (also upgrading from D2x), and went with the D800. But if you already have the D4, I think it is a no-brainer, get the housing for the D4. It is a similar size housing to the D2x, so it won't make much difference to you.
If you haven't already seen it, Alex Mustard did a fantastic review of the D4 and the Nauticam housing.
I love my D800 above and under the water and i think that the D800 and the D4 are rather similar cameras regarding
sensor and picture quality. As you have already a D4 you save a lot of $$$ getting the housing for it, especially a NEXUS and reuse the
ports and accessoires you already have from your D2 rig. But, having a D800 as a second camera body can come handy in many situations, especially for topside photography.
Chris
Even if I have D4, I will choose a D800 for shooting underwater for