Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony DSC-T1 - has anyone tried it UW?

Started by apking ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony DSC-T1 - has anyone tried it UW?

19 posts
  1. Sony DSC-T1 - has anyone tried it UW?

    Hi there,

    I am looking at purchasing a digi cam with basic underwater housing, and no strobe (initially). The Sony DSC-T1 is very small - but I can't find any underwater shots taken with it.

     

    http://www.digideep.com/product.php?pType=...&mID=34&pID=763

     

    Does anyone have any experience / shots taken underwater with this camera?

     

    It has the optional water proof case (40M) MPK-THA and an optional "colour filter".

     

    The small size makes it very convenient. Even for above water use, people complain about red eye due to the flash being close to the lens, which I suspect may be a problem underwater with backscatter. People also complain that the flash is weak... which I suspect may be more of a problem underwater.. and low light performance is poor.

     

    It this thing really suitable for underwater use? Or should I look at something like the Olympus 5060 (people say the previous model 5050 is better)? I'm not a fanatic, but would like to take nice shots to show people :) (at depths say 10-20M).

     

    I'm new to this, have spent ages researching... but am confused. Any comments are appreciated!

     

    Thanks,

    Antony.

  2. Thanks oceanearth - had a look at those - quite a lot of info., but little re underwater performance. Most reviewers on dpreview did not seem to like this camera. Still looking for someone who has used this camera underwater at depth (say 20M / 60ft)....

     

    Olympus 5060 is looking good - any recommendations?

  3. The 5060 and dsc-t1 are entirely different breeds--even just by size. The 5060 housing is HUGE compared to the dsc-t1. And since you're not a fanatic, forget about the 5060--it is complex when compared to the simplicity of a well-appointed point-and-shoot like the dsc-t1.

    As for image quality, the land reviews are indeed pertinent. You will not use the flash underwater except in very clear conditions, and even then why bother when Sony offers a color-correction filter (made by ur/pro I believe).

    So...imho skip the 5060, go for the small, easy dsc-t1, and get the available filter. You will have great images to show your friends. Plus a really cool little camera...

  4. on second thought...

    Upon further reflection, I cannot recommend the Dsc-T1 based upon apparent tendency to blur under low light conditions. This is similar to the problems I have with the Stylus400. I have taken quite good shots with that, but the annoyance of occasional bluring is the overriding factor. I am now looking at the Oly C-60 as the small profile answer to my prayers.

  5. Are you sure the T1 "blurs" under low light conditions? Blurring is almost always caused by the photographer not holding the camera steadily enough. The Sony T1 has a slower lens than the 5060 does, but both will blur under low light conditions if you are trying to expose with ambient light only.

  6. Thanks for your replies. I have bought the T1, and will report back after Easter on how it goes with the marine casing.

     

    - Antony.

  7. Indeed, the blur I get is caused by low light conditions (ambient, with filter). I may use digicams, but I know how to hold 'em! I have read other reviews of the stylus series identifying the same problem. And there are no adjustments to be made on that fully automatic camera. Actually I prefer the small cameras and housings, as I can clip it to my BC and take care of my divers without a second thought. Also, I really enjoy the full color effect of the ur/pro filter, so I am committed to never using a strobe for the rest of my natural life. Or until they make one that attaches to my mask.

  8. dsc-t1 & underwater housing

    I just bought a dsc-t1 because of the compact size, even though it produces red eye with a flash, thats ok with me! you can always take it out with a photo editor program. I also bought the marine pack for it. I am considering getting the underwater lense kit for it although. I will be taking this out to the eastern Belize atoll's where I will be diving around lighthouse reef, turneff, etc... I will report back with images to share and how it performed. If anyone is interested contact me at bbishop@tde.com with a request of some sample images. Also if anyone has dived with this before I go out, let me know how it went. If you send me images, I will share some back with you.

     

    Ben

  9. I bought a Sony T1 in Feb just before going on a trip to Cuba. I used it with the Sony UW case during my first time diving. Some pictures and videos are available here. http://dunfield.rmc.ca/cuba/scuba_snorkle/

     

    I was very pleased with the camera. It takes outstanding outdoor pictures, and seemed to take descent underwater pictures/videos. The scuba diving videos are my favourite.

     

    I have now taken a full diving course so hope to get much more experience with the camera this summer.

     

    Jim

  10. Where did you go diving in Cuba? I noticed in the pictures the water looks a bit cloudy? was it as cloudy diving as the pictures? Also did you try experimenting with flash? how does flash perform underwater? I would imagine you need to be within 2-3 feet of your subject for it to work decent enough. Also what mode did you have the camera set to? program or auto? I noticed when using my camera, it takes better pictures if you change it to program, and set the iso speed to 100 if you can keep the camera still, I find this mode is good for indoor pictures. For Outdoor I find iso 300 or 400 will take great pictures outdoors with no fuziness at all. The clarity is really good on this camera with Program mode, But (sony) in my opinion made some mistakes on the auto mode. The pictures dont come out as good. The pictures are not focused sometimes. I just read online that if you download the flash update to the camera, it fixes a few things about the camera. I will have to do it and find out what they are. Also It's best to change to exposure to -7. The camera tends to overexpose pictures outside. If you change the setting, you dont have to change it again when you turn it off and on.

  11. Experiment with the focus setting - 'centre' works well for me (the default seems to pay too much attention to background objects). Adjusting the Exposure Value (about -1.0 ) helps to get a better big blue colour. I use Program mode under water, Auto on land.

    The built in flash is good for wide angle (less than 3 feet and clean water only) and macro - getting the focus right is more of a challenge.

    I am now on the quest for more light - the Sony video light seems expensive for what you get. Has anyone experimented with slave strobes?

  12. I was lucky enough to get to play with a T1 on the weekend. I found it to perform surprisingly well as an out-of-the box package (ie no extra lens / filters / strobes)

     

    Now I'm a film girl, so I don't profess these are the greatest digital shots :lol: , but I thought people might be interested so ...

     

    Image: Old Wives

    Photographer: Leander Wiseman

    Location: Bowen Island, Jervis Bay, NSW. Australia

    Date: 12 June 04

    Notes: This shot was on natural light in 6m. Auto levels in photoshop.

  13. Image: Tambja verconis on Kelp

    Photographer: Leander Wiseman

    Location: Southern Scallop Beds, Jervis Bay, NSW. Australia

    Date: 12 June 04

    Notes: This shot used onboard flash in dim, silty conditions. Cropped slightly.

  14. Image: Bennets on Red Algae

    Photographer: Leander Wiseman

    Location: Southern Scallop Beds, Jervis Bay, NSW. Australia

    Date: 12 June 04

    Notes: This shot used onboard flash in dim, silty conditions. No post processing.

  15. I am now on the quest for more light - the Sony video light seems expensive for what you get. Has anyone experimented with slave strobes?

     

    I also used my DS125 with slave controller. It worked ... but a bit of overkill for the camera!!

     

    cheers

    Lndr

  16. Not bad for such a small camera!

  17. Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised :>

    Macro shots came up well for out-of-the-box ... I think the flat shape of the camera & lens mean much better light distribution (no shadows) from the in-built flash.

    My hint would be that it works well upside down - as the lens is in the upper right corner of the camera this puts the lens right at the bottom and gives better perspective on lots of macro subjects IMHO.

  18. I'm starting to wonder if one should take the T1 seriously - I'm getting much better results than I expected. Its a pity one can't calibrate the White Balance. Otherwise its a very rewarding camera to play with!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.