Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 17-40 or 16-35ii Zen Nauticam

Started by mdex73 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 17-40 or 16-35ii Zen Nauticam

5 posts
  1. Will the 16-35 give me dramatically better results or slightly better than the 17-40. My wife is using a 5d mark3 in a Nauticam housing behind a Zen 230 dome?

    Edited by mdex73
  2. If you want quantifiable differences, I'd say it's in the 10-30% better in corners, especially on the wide end wide open, and about 5-10% better in overall resolution. It's significantly noticeable on some pics, not so big a difference in others.

    There's more distortion with the 17-40.

    If budget is an issue, you may wish to check out the Tokina 16-28. I really liked this lens @ 16mm. Corners were a bit sharper than the 16-35II throughout to F16. It has more CA and focused slower. Biggest problem was QC. I tested 3 copies before I found one that had consistent results. YMMV. Not a lens I'd buy online.

  3. Hi you may find the 16/28 from tokina very heavy I was looking at this lens but in the end got the 16/35 Nikon.

    Regards,

    Andy

  4. Is the canon 16-35 dramatically better than the 17-40?

  5. Is the canon 16-35 dramatically better than the 17-40?

    Both are great lenses. I've shot the 17-40 and own the 16-35 II.

    I wouldn't say dramatically better but slightly better. The advantage

    in my opinion (there are probably a few actually) is that you have more

    light to focus with with a native 2.8 lens than you do with an 4.0 which

    results in faster AF all other things being equal. I found the Zen 230 to

    be a great match for either lens with the correct port extension ring.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.