Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

NLE Software

Started by SwiftFF5 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

NLE Software

8 posts
  1. I know that this has previously been discussed, but since software is constantly evolving, I thought that maybe it would be time to ask again.

     

    I have been using Pinnacle 14 Ultimate on a Windows XP machine for a long time, and have actually been fairly happy with it. Although it can be a little slow, with the Ultimate package and a couple of add-ins, it has plenty of tools for my use. However, I just upgraded my computer to a Windows 7 machine with much more processing power with the aim of buying the current version of Pinnacle (version16 Ultimate), however perhaps it is time to look at other packages. One that has caught my eye is Corel VideoStudio X6. It seems to be getting good reviews, and seems to have a nice package of editing tools. I use and like Corel's WordPerfect, and Quattro Pro, so I am comfortable with their user interface, and the price is quite reasonable.

     

    Any thoughts on these programs, or others that I should look at? For what its worth, anything made by Apple is right out of the picture; I can't abide their user interface at all, so no point in going there. If it helps, I am mostly shooting for my own pleasure and for the folks that are on trips with me, and occasionally to make training films for our dive team.

     

    Thanks for the advice.

     

  2. If you use Adobe creative cloud, upgrading to complete will allow you access to Premiere Pro.

  3. I just updated to EDIUS 6.5 and the new 7 64 bit.

    You can edit 8 bit as 10 bit (minimizing compression banding) and change the re sampling to a high quality when it comes time to render out a H.264 file for the net of Blu_Ray.

    It also uses intels (ivy or sandy bridge CPUs) built in H.264 encoder for super fast H.264 files.

    Also has a stabilizer filter that you can throw on a clip and still keep editing even on the clip you put the filter on as it works in the background.

    It will edit almost any video format in its native form real time and even mixed them all up together.

  4. SwiftFF5..

    Out of curiosity, what about the Apple interface can't you abide with? Are you talking about the OS or the editing applications? Adobe Premier Pro has the same interface on a Mac as it would a PC, no?

    Steve

  5. It is the Apple Operating system that annoys me every time that I'm required to use it. While I would guess that the Adobe Premier interface might be the same on both platforms, I get too annoyed with the OS to get that far. I guess I'm just getting too old and cranky.

     

    FWIW, I ended up both upgrading to the current version on Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 16, and also bought Corel Video Studio X6. I'm playing with both of them right now, and haven't really decided which I like better. I am also trying to finish up a project in Pinnacle 14 since their customer support suggested that I not try to finish a project that I started with one version in another version. So, it is all taking longer than it should.

  6. I also use Adobe Premiere Pro via the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Dreamweaver, etc) but do NOT follow the creative cloud route as Adobe like to go with their customers!

     

    Besides that, I believe Premiere is the way to go since the convergence of various softwares on the same platform, especially Premiere for video and Photoshop for stills, is also a common trend in the video world.

  7. I also use premiere pro cs6. Will NOT be doing the creative cloud....which is ridiculous. So in the future I will change to non adobe, but probably not for a while.

     

    Dustin

  8. I just updated to EDIUS 6.5 and the new 7 64 bit.

     

     

    Same old NLE flame :deadhorse:

     

    Edius all the life.

     

    BTW if the OP is:

     

    mostly shooting for my own pleasure and for the folks that are on trips with me, and occasionally to make training films for our dive team.

     

    There's no reason to buy Edius 7 but just Neo that is very cheap.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.