Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lens Calibration, is it worth it?

Started by eyu ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens Calibration, is it worth it?

4 posts
  1. I am wondering how much, if any difference, will I notice if I calibrate my lens with a method like LensAlign or FoCal.

    Is it worth doing?

     

    Elmer

     

  2. I calibrate all my lenses. There is a noticeable difference especially with Macro or Super Tele as you have thin DOF in both instances. I use Focal, but look up the free technique called Dot Tune. There's a Youtube video on it, takes about 5 mins per lens. I calibrate on what I think my working distance would be, rather than the 25-50x focal length.

     

    S.

  3. This makes sense to me for work with a flat port, but for lenses that will be used with a dome (e.g. wide angle lenses), shouldn't the calibration be done where the virtual image is created? ~3x dome radius?

  4. I went with FoCal and calibrated two bodies each with 4 lens. Did the zoom lens at three different focal lengths and found all the lens to be "right on".

    I now have peace of mind that the lens are calibrated. Thank you Uncle Nikon for having close tolerances.

     

    Elmer

    Edited by eyu
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.