Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica housing and Ikelite strobes

Started by seansrs968 ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica housing and Ikelite strobes

9 posts
  1. I am looking at getting an Aquatica housing. I currently use Ikelite DS-161 strobes. Apparently, I can not get TTL using the Aquatica housing with the current strobes I have. I would only be able to use the strobes in manual mode. How hard is this to do? I primarily shoot Macro here in southern California. I would love to hear other people's advice and suggestions.

     

    Sean

  2. Hi Sean

     

    I last shot TTL with my Canon A2e in a Subal housing in 2002. I then had a 10D in a Subal C10 housing and only had manual strobe capability. I brought both housings with me on a dive trip, fully expecting to miss the TTL of my film camera. Short story, film cam stayed in the bag and I had 14 rolls of Kodak 100VS in my freezer for a couple of years till I gave them away. It's not hard to adjust to manual strobe exposure with a DSLR's instant feedback. Turn on your "Blinkies" (over exposure warning) and make sure you don't crowd either side of the histogram and you'll be fine. It's very easy to change your camera settings or strobe power to get a good exposure. For Macro, you can likely get by at 1/4-1/2 power, depending on your starting ISO and about f11-16, 1/125th.

     

    S.

  3. I have an Aquatica with Ikelite strobes and I use this:

     

    http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1815

     

    It works very well, just like standard Ikelite housing does. Having said that, I use TTL mode for macro mostly and always use manual for wide angle.

     

    JP

     

     

    Well the problem is that I am shooting a Canon and for some reason they do not make this for the Canon only Nikon :(.

  4.  

     

    Well the problem is that I am shooting a Canon and for some reason they do not make this for the Canon only Nikon :(.

     

    Well, that just ain't right, is it? Sorry to hear it... I think your other options would be either Sea&sea's TTL adaptor or there's another one out there I think from a German website maybe?

     

    But... to your original question, is it a big deal to use your strobes manually instead of TTL and the answer is "no". Since the 160/161 series went to more manual settings available, it's a great strobe to use without TTL. Many times I will go to manual if the TTL is not giving me what I want. TTL is nice to have, but not a necessity by any means.

     

    good luck,

    John

  5. Heinrichs ettl converter. I just realized I have one but I have not yet installed it so I do not know how well it works. I will let you know once I test it!

  6. I have been shooting with the Ikelite DS125 and DS161 on my Aquatica (Nikon) housing in manual for a few years now. TTL is not essential as Its doesnt take very long before you get your head around shooting manual.

     

    Regards Mark

  7. Hi everyone..



    Sorry for being the 'New Guy' jumping in with a question right off the bat! And straying as little off topic.



    I have a favour to ask anyone shooting Canon DSLR in an Aquatica housing, I need a measurement (mm) from the front of the camera lens bayonet (silver metal part) to the front of the housing port bayonet (the flat face your port sits flush against).



    I am a long time underwater DOP here in Australia and I build a heap of my own custom housings for RED, 3D and other oddball cameras. I am experimenting with a few off the shelf port options with one of my creations (happy to post photos as I move along).



    I am on MKIII of my RED housings, building this one specifically for the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye which I love the look of underwater.



    If anyone can help please let me know..



    Thanks in advance.



    Dean Cropp


    croppycam@bigpond.com


    www.accessallangles.com

  8. Dean I would contact Jean at Aquatica.He is oftenon here replying to technical questions.

     

    Regards Mark

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.