When I first purchased my u/w setup in 2006, the 8" dome (5510.45) came without a shade and the port body that came with it for the Canon 10-22mm zoom was the 5510.11. Today the recommendation is the 5510.22 port body. I have always been a bit miffed with the corner sharpness and distortion I get when shooting at 10 mm. My question is, is the 5510.22 port body an improvement or not? I have contacted Ikelite about this and their reply was:
"In looking at the port recommendations on your web site for the Canon 10-22 zoom, I see that you list port body #5510.22 for this lense but when I bought the 8" dome port in 2006 it came with the 5510.16 body. Would I get better performance from the 5510.22 on the 8" dome port or is this just a matter of fit? Possibly sharper edges in your photos at wide angle settings. We do not test lenses for the best optics since zoom lenses have floating nodal points and optically change as you zoom the lens underwater behind the dome. Our founder and the man who controlled the Ikelite website "Ike" died at the end of 2006. It could be that this lens was tested at some point afterward and it was determined that the slightly longer 5510.22 port was a bit sharper edge-to-edge at the lens's widest angle setting. The short answer is "possibly." Finally, when I purchased my 8" dome there was no shade, is it possible to add this now? No, the first domes did not have a slot on the side which is necessary for the four set screws that hold the dome on to screw into."
So I am reaching out the Canon 10-22mm lens and Ikelite 8" dome users on this forum for some feedback on this ... is there any improvement in edge quality using the 5510.22 port body over the 5510.16 port body? BTW I am using a 30D.
Best regards,
Charles