Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

UW port for Nikon 14-24 f2.8

Started by CheungyDiver ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

UW port for Nikon 14-24 f2.8

8 posts
  1. Well if first you don't succeed try and try again. After nearly 8 years finally I think I am getting somewhere. I have hinted a few times so I guess its time to show what I am talking about.

     

    I have already posted a quick video test with the custom Pro One dome and in a 5DMIII with 16-35 f2.8L II USM lens. Even that combo is not as sharp or contrasty as this set up. I will also do some test in a Gates Red Epic housing and Nikon mount. I think it should work well.

     

    I have been really keen to get a port made that works with the Nikon 14-24mm with DSLR, later HD DSLR and recently S35 sensor video cameras.

     

    First of on the D800 DSLR:

     

    post-595-0-21355100-1378128253_thumb.jpg

     

     

    Basic jpeg and unsharp mask. No other alteration. 14mm end zoom, f8 and ISO100 with the D800 and Nauticam housing. The port is made by me and I am not trying to sell anything here - just want to see if anyone has any constructive comments.

     

    I have also uploaded a video taken with the D800. The results is pretty good especially the half/half. Once Vimeo is uploaded I will post it here.

  2. Here is one at the 24mm end F8.

    post-595-0-52497800-1378129652_thumb.jpg

     

     

     

     

    and 100% crop:

     

    post-595-0-13523300-1378129711_thumb.jpg

  3. Now the HD video of the test:

     

    I will be trying the port with the 17-35 f2.8 and the 14mm f1.4 Nikkor prime. That should be fun. Oh the port is only 7 inches in diameter. Cheers

     

     

    https://vimeo.com/73617939

  4. You need to vacuum your swimming pool.

  5. Hi David congrats on this. If you get a chance could you try it with a cropped sensor and say a 10-22mm. Could you also try it at some wider apitures say 5.6 of f4.

    Good luck.

    Mark

  6. I think I will try on the Nikkor 14mm prime at f1.4 :). If this works then its super for low light.

     

    I don't have the Afs Nikkor 10-24mm but could borrow one. This lens should work on cropped DX mode in the D800. That will be equivalent to 15-33mm.

     

    I did try 14-24mm at f2.8 the result at the centre is good but edge as one would expect is going to be soft but looks like out of focus so in a blue sea scene with subject mainly in the centre region it looks okay. F4 and F5.6 alot better. Centre region tack sharp expands wider. Corner is still soft. Again not terrible. At f8 everything is pretty sharp. This is using the D800 in movie mode using the 14mm widest. At 24mm f4 is pretty sharp the whole frame.

     

    A few months ago I did try another version of the port in a Nauticam Red Epic housing and 14-24mm, at wide end and aperture at f2.8 I think. Need to find that footage and I will post it here. That seems fairly sharp but condition at lembeh was not great at the time.

     

    More later.

    Edited by CheungyDiver
  7. David, looks good man. Keep up the good work and good luck :)

  8. here is the footage taken at April 2013 at lembeh Straits. Red Epic, nikon mount, 14-24 at 14mm & Nauticam Rossa & custom port.

     

    original much much more crispier than this. Vimeo compression applied to save space.

     

    https://vimeo.com/73698283

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.