Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

What type of fiber optic cable for DIY sync cable

Started by diverdoug1 ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

What type of fiber optic cable for DIY sync cable

10 posts
  1. I want to make a long (about 3 meter) fiber optic sync cord (L-type see & sea ends) to use with an off camera strobe (for snoot photography). I do not want to use a remote slave trigger ( such as the Triggerfish). I have found a source for See & Sea compatible end caps that will accomodate a 2.0mm external diameter fiber optic cable. I need to find out the best type of fiber optic cable to use for this application, and a place where I can order this cable. If any of you can offer any insight on the type of cable rquired, I would appreciate it! Thanks, Doug

    Edited by diverdoug1
  2. Hi Doug,

     

    I use TOSlink audio cable, and it seems to work okay. I have used lengths from 2 feet up to 25 feet with no issues.

     

    I can optically fire my Sea and Sea strobes with the 25 foot cable with my built in flash output at 1/128.

     

    Cheers

    BC

  3. Thanks! I may have to modify the outside diameter of the cable to narrow it down to 2.0mm, but I will give it a try!.

  4. It is much like a coax cable in composition, a thin outer sheath, a sturdy inner protrector, and finally the fiber optic core.

     

    I have cables that are stripped down to just the fiber itself and use with no issues. My guess is the fiber optic cable by itself is about 2mm.

  5. I want to make a long (about 3 meter) fiber optic sync cord (L-type see & sea ends) to use with an off camera strobe (for snoot photography). I do not want to use a remote slave trigger ( such as the Triggerfish). I have found a source for See & Sea compatible end caps that will accomodate a 2.0mm external diameter fiber optic cable. I need to find out the best type of fiber optic cable to use for this application, and a place where I can order this cable. If any of you can offer any insight on the type of cable rquired, I would appreciate it! Thanks, Doug

    Check this:

    http://thefiberopticstore.com/purchase/endglowfilament.htm#2.0

    The 2mm diameter fiber is not so flexible. Maybe the 1mm is enough. If you want to curl your filament, check this link:

    http://fiberstrobe.blogspot.de/2013/04/curling-of-fibers.html

    Cheers

    Marcell

  6. I also use a 1$/m Toslink cable for my inon s2000-s. Perfect for the job. As far as I remember, the core is 1mm.

  7. Doug

     

    Where did you find your sea and sea compatible end caps?

     

    Simon

  8. I think mine came from Divervision but I think xit404 is also making them.

    Edited by diverdoug1
Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.