Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

OM-D EM-5 12-50mm Toggle Zoom Anomaly

Started by Bob_W ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

OM-D EM-5 12-50mm Toggle Zoom Anomaly

6 posts
  1. I set my system up for a Goliath Grouper dive last Saturday using the 12-50mm lens.I figured that I would just be able to Fn-1 toggle between 12mm and 50mm and it would be OK. I ended up with a strange behavior that I haven't seen mentioned here, or I may have just missed it. The camera is set in manual, and there's an 'M' in the lower left corner of the display. There are some values for f-stop/speed. Using the up/down left/right buttons I can change the f-stop/speed. At this point I hit the toggle button and the lens moves to one end of it's travel, either 12mm or 50mm. The 'M' changes to 1 fish or 3 fish, depending on which way it went. But the f-stop and speed also change to some arbirtrary settings. Toggling again sends the lens to the other end of its travel, and changes the f-stop/speed to a different set of numbers. And at this point, the up/down left/right buttons have no control over the settings.Rolling the mode wheel off 'M' and back leaves the lens in its last position and restores the up/down left/right ability to change f-stop/speed. If I want to zoom to the other end, it's toggle, wheel, set f-stop/speed. I have fond no reference to this behavior, nor a way to set some default values for each end of the zoom. Can anybody shed any light on this behavior?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Bob W

  2. That's correct. Toggling between the "one-fish" and "three-fish" presets does change the shutter speed and f-stop.

     

    I don't know of any direct workaround other than the one you have mentioned.

  3.  

    bob_w: I'm experiencing the same phenomena with the E-M1, toggling override the manual mode. appreciate to know if any workaround.

     

  4. bob_w: I'm experiencing the same phenomena with the E-M1, toggling override the manual mode. appreciate to know if any workaround.

     

    With the E-M1, you can program the right arrow for Electric Zoom. Then use the arrows to power zoom in and out. There are no changes to the F-stop & Speed, as with the jump zoom, AND you can stop at any point between 12 & 50mm. So the process becomes:

     

    1) Press right arrow - turns on electric zoom

    2) Using arrows, zoom to desired position

    3) Press OK - Turns off electric zoom and lets up/down/left arrows revert to regular setting

    or

    Press shutter halfway - Also turns off electric zoom

     

    I think this is a much nicer implementation.

     

    Bob W

  5. Thank you Bob, that helps indeed.

  6. Nice feature on E-M1. I wonder if they updated this function on the E-M5. Anybody knows?

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.