Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

DIY LCD magnifier - optics question

Started by ProfF ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

DIY LCD magnifier - optics question

7 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    With the advances of age, my near sight is going down. I realized recently that I shoot underwater with arms fully extended, otherwise I don't see the LCD in focus :-( While this extends my reach, it does not help the quality of the shooting.

    Nauticam recently came out with an LCD magnifier that has diopter adjustment (which presumably can solve my problems) -- see http://wetpixel.com/articles/nauticam-releases-lcd-magnifier-and-sunscreen

     

    However, my housing model (NA-EPL3) is not supported for this magnifier, and as far as I can tell it would clash with some of the control buttons that are on the screen periphery (in the newer housing models they moved these further from the screen).

    I am thinking of building a DIY version. Designing a shell that fits the screen and button layout was easy (and I plan to print one).

     

    post-25106-0-63316000-1379758677_thumb.png

     

    The question what type of glass to put on the viewing end (right now the top holds a 55-52mm stepdown ring (in light gray), that allows me to put in 52mm filters. One option is to use standard close-up filter (say +10). However, I am not sure how well this will perform underwater and it definitely would not be adjustable.

     

    Any suggestions on a better mechanism?

     

    Thanks

     

    Nir

     

  2. Hi , I have the same problem so I ordered and tried the Nauticam LCD magnifier for my RX100 housing.

    Beautiful object but the dioptric adjustment is not enough for me, I need to add a +2 lens to it.

    The problem is the small refraction difference between glass and water: single wet lenses loose 2/3 of refraction power.

    You will need about +20 ,+ 25 underwater to have the same effect of a +7 , +9 in air using a single wet positive lens but such a lens is not easy to find.

  3. I am aware that lenses lose between 1/2 to 3/4 of their power due to differences in refraction index. I am thinking of sandwiching a diopter lens between two clear ones (UV filter). If I can get this contraption to be waterproof, the diopter should not lose its power, as far as I understand. (This how Subsee lenses are built.) The optics are terrible with cheap filters, but since it is only a viewfinder, this will not show in the final images :-)

     

    I am wondering if there is a way to make the diopter power adjustable. Any ideas?

  4. Nauticam magnifier has a simple system : "screw in, screw out" of the entire "optic cell" , about one inch of movement.

  5. Or just buy some Hydrotac stick in lenses for your mask , just search on Amazon for Hydrotac

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. or a disposable magnifier contact lens in your 'weakest' eye

    Edited by jander4454
  7. I also use the stick on lenses in my mask - turns the mask into a bifocal. Once you get them positioned properly, they work pretty well.

    Edited by SwiftFF5
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.