Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

10Bar Red Filter vs Magic Filter

Started by kc_moses ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

10Bar Red Filter vs Magic Filter

4 posts
  1. I'm looking to get a 67mm filter. I'm wondering if anyone has experience comparing the two. The Magic Filter (Auto-Magic) is $20 more expensive than the 10Bar.

     

    The filter will be used for video and custom white balance. If the Magic Filter is better, how so?

     

    Thanks!

  2. I've recently tried a magic filter and a red filter from Aditech for my 10 Bar housing. I don't know if Aditech make the filter themselves or not, but I found that it was significantly better than the magic filter I used. I found that the magic filter took away too much blue. It seems all cameras are different however, and others have had great results with magic filters. I'm using a Panasonic GH2 with the 14-42 PZ lens (for video), and the only way of using the magic filter with this setup is to tape it to the rear of the lens, like they show you on the website.

     

    I posted in the video section recently a clip from the Maldives (under GH2 hints, or something like that). I'm fairly new to this setup so it's not as still in my hands yet as I would like, but I think the colours have come out fine, at least with the WB technique I described on my vimeo page. Judge for yourself:

    https://vimeo.com/74906163

     

    According to this:

    http://www.aditech-uw.com/en/shop/cat-238-238-5-38-170.html

    the price for the Mangrove CF-M67 is 46 euros.

     

    Matt

  3. Thanks Matt, the Aditech look very similar to the 10Bar I suspect they're the same thing. Hmm.....

  4. i think the 10Bar, ikelite and others use URPro glass for their filters. I believe Magic Filters are the only other filter that has their own "formula". I have not seen any detailed side by sides between the two. Others can certainly weigh in.

     

    also.... shameless plug.... I'm selling a 67mm URPro red filter in the classified section. If you decide to go that route, have a look if you want to save a few bucks off retail.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.