Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

The Triangle

Started by Oceanshutter ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

The Triangle

15 posts
  1. Hello all,

     

    I wanted to post my latest film effort. I was fortunate enough to have it selected to be shown at the SDUFEX film expo. Let me know what you think. Let me know what you liked and didn't like. I am always looking to improve.

     

    Hope you enjoy it!

     

    Dustin

     

    https://vimeo.com/76389975

     

  2. Great to see you at SDUFEX Dustin. Congrats on your selection, it's terrific.

     

    John

  3. Dustin,

     

    Everybody I talked to was impressed by the colors in your video. Even Howard Hall. Are you going to share your technique?

  4. Great stuff, thanks for posting this!

     

    For anyone interested in learning more about the science and sociology of the Coral Triangle, have a look at the Coral Triangle Knowledge Network (linked below). My organization supports the CTI in a number of ways and we are working on getting more information and tools out there and readily available.

     

    http://www.ctknetwork.org/

    Edited by troporobo
  5. Beautiful stuff Dustin, well done mate:)

  6. Great to see you at SDUFEX Dustin. Congrats on your selection, it's terrific.

     

    John

     

    Thanks John. It was a pleasure to meet you as well. Thanks for the tour, that was very interesting!

    Dustin

  7. Dustin,

     

    Everybody I talked to was impressed by the colors in your video. Even Howard Hall. Are you going to share your technique?

     

    Thanks Eric!

    Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything special

     

    For the wide angle shots, I do a manual white balance and use the Landscape profile on the camera. In post. I typically will crush the blacks a bit, and then add a little more color. I don't use any filters.

     

    For the macro shots, I use auto white balance, and use the Standard Profile which is a flatter profile. I then crush the blacks, and because of the flatter profile add a bit more color to it...

     

    Thats really it...

     

    Dustin

  8. Whatever you're doing works great. Keep shooting (and editing).

  9. Whatever you're doing works great. Keep shooting (and editing).

    Thanks Eric!

  10. Really enjoyed watching that Dustin. I can see why it got selected for San Diego. Very special!

     

    Congrats,

    Steve

  11. Very nice film. I especially liked the anemonefish tending its eggs, and that black manta is beautiful.

     

    As you're looking to improve, I did notice one or two slight wobbles at points that I might have tried to stabilise or cut in post. Also I think you may have just slightly overdone it darkening the footage in a couple of places. The blues were occasionally very deep, almost too deep, and the blacks very black. But I'm being very picky here.

     

    One other thing. Be very careful with CC licences. You generally need CC-BY for what we do. CC-BY-ND doesn't allow for syncing to video. I love the track you've used and wanted to use some of that artist's music myself, but very little of it is CC-BY, and I've been too cheap so far to stump up the $99 for a Jamendo pro licence.

  12. Really enjoyed watching that Dustin. I can see why it got selected for San Diego. Very special!

     

    Congrats,

    Steve

     

    thanks Steve. I appreciate your comments

  13. Great viewing Dustin. Really impressed with how much you are still pulling out of the 5D2! The colours looked almost 444! :D

     

    Cheers, Simon

  14. Great job, very nice video, it's normal it has been selected in San Diego, congratulations Dustin.

  15. Thanks Guys.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.