Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

OM-D E-M5 macro lens choice(s)?

Started by wydeangle ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

OM-D E-M5 macro lens choice(s)?

7 posts
  1. There seem to be at least several macro lenses available for the OM-D E-M5: a 60mm f2.8, a 45mm 1.8 Zuiko and a 45mm f2.8 Panasonic. There may be other choices.

     

    I'm thinking about giving one of them to kfish for Christmas.

     

    She has the Nauticam E-M5 housing. Will I need to get another port, or will her port for the 12-50mm zoom work?

     

    Anyone have any factual advice to offer about lens choice?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Tom

    Edited by wydeangle
  2. The Olympus 45mm F1.8 is an excellent lens but NOT a macro lens. I own the Panasonic 45 macro and the Olympus 60 macro. All things considered the 60 macro would be a better choice for you. It fits the 12-50 port, the 45 will not. Longer reach, focus limiting in the macro range and better suited to +5/10 close up lenses.

     

    Phil Rudin

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  3. And another bonus is that the olympus 60mm macro is several hundred dollars less, plus it gives a weather-sealed fit when used on a camera like the olympus OM-D EM-5. The Panasonic has optical image stabilization but that is a moot point for an EM-5 user.

     

    Bart

  4. The Olympus 45mm F1.8 is an excellent lens but NOT a macro lens. I own the Panasonic 45 macro and the Olympus 60 macro. All things considered the 60 macro would be a better choice for you. It fits the 12-50 port, the 45 will not. Longer reach, focus limiting in the macro range and better suited to +5/10 close up lenses.

     

    Phil Rudin

    I use the Oly 60 mm in the 12-50 port with a +6 diopter (flip mounted). I do like the 12-50 a lot.

    Bob

  5. I use the Oly 60 mm in the 12-50 port with a +6 diopter (flip mounted). I do like the 12-50 a lot.

    Bob

    Just curious about the 60mm in the 12-50 port. Autofocus only I assume and would the Subsea flip adapter work with that to the new nauticam super macro lens? Thinking about getting a M1 system for my wife for Xmas. Sounds like Pan 8mm with 4.33 dome, 12-50 w/port and 60mm the best set up? If the 60 fits the 12-50 then just 12-50 port and small dome would be really great for travel.

     

    Thanks for any info.

  6. You can use the 60mm in the 12-50 port and you can use the manual focus gear for the 60mm in the 12-50 port. The 12-50 port has 77mm threads, which complicate adding a diopter (which are invariably for 67mm threads). The 60mm port has 67mm threads (and the 12-50mm works fine behind it with 3rd party gears, but w/o macro capability). The 4.33" dome works very well with the 8mm Panasonic and also works very well with the Oly 12mm f/2.0. So with the 2 ports, you can use the 12mm f/2.0, the 8mm FE f/3.5, the 12-50mm and the 60mm f/2.8.

    Edited by coroander
  7. Just curious about the 60mm in the 12-50 port. Autofocus only I assume and would the Subsea flip adapter work with that to the new nauticam super macro lens? Thinking about getting a M1 system for my wife for Xmas. Sounds like Pan 8mm with 4.33 dome, 12-50 w/port and 60mm the best set up? If the 60 fits the 12-50 then just 12-50 port and small dome would be really great for travel.

     

    Thanks for any info.

    I am using the 12-50 & the 60mm in the 12-50 port with the M5. As Coroander stated, you can either auto or manual focus these lenses. The macro zoom to 43 mm for the 12-50 is particularly nice. I have the Nauticam flipholder for 70 mm diopters with an Inon +6.

     

    Bob

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.