Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Attaching safety line to Aquatica
Started by svenstad ·
- 9Posts
- 9Replies
Read-only discussion
Attaching safety line to Aquatica
-
Here is a question to users of Aquatica SLR housings.When we dive in places where we will loose the camera if we drop it (like walls, from boats etc.), we attach the camera to a D-ring on our BCD or harness with a rope of some kind. I'm not so satisfied with the way I attach that rope to my housing so I would like to see how you fellow Aquatica users do it. Any suggestions?For me it's important that it's quick and easy to un-clip the camera from my harness in the case I'm climbing up the ladder on a dive boat and someone is helping me taking care of the camera. Also, it's important to be out of the way when using the camera UW. I have tied a thin but strong rope around the left handle and then I use a stainless steel clip to connect to it. It would have been nice if Aquatica had had this in mind when they designed the housings or handles.
-
I'm on my third Aquatica DSLR housing and have always attached a coiled lanyard with a magnetic release to the bottom of the right grip using a tie-wrap. The BC end of the lanyard has a thumb clasp which I can attach and detach with one hand to a fixed D-ring that's on the belt of my BC. Since the D-ring is fixed, it's easy to use and never requires two hands as some moveable ones do. Being on the BC belt, the lanyard is always out of the way and the magnetic release an easily be operated with one hand.
The lanyard that I use is:
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aqumclb/magna-clip-with-coil-lanyard-brass-clip
-
I am not an Aquatica user, but the problem with the above coil lanyard is that a good tug will break the springy plastic coil.
I have gone to a Cetacea CRL3HD lanyard, it uses a nylon belt and is stronger.
Elmer
-
To divengolf:
So you just strapped the lanyard to the lower end of the handle? You don't feel it's in the way while using the camera?
For some reason that I can't explain I attached mine on the left side. I'm right-handed.
-
The Aquatica handle is hollow, and if you look, there's a convenient groove on the top. I simply thread a 3/8" braided nylon cord with a big knot tied on the end into the handle and lay the cord along the groove. The ball adapter (17553) then keeps everything in place. I use a stainless steel clip to then hook to a D-ring on my BC. My cord is 6' long, allowing me to drop my housing below me if I need to assist someone and it's not in the way.
S.
-
Thanks Stewart for that tip. Now I have come up with a solution that I believe in. See picture:
-
It seems that I couldn't just paste a picture into the message. Could anyone tell how to insert pictures into posts? When I try the Image tool I get a request for a URL, but I have no good place to store pictures for public access so I want to just add the picture to the post.
/ Sven
-
I have made up length of rope to which I have spliced two quick snaps to. It serves as a carry handle or with one end unclipped from housing it can be then clipped off to bcd.
Please refer to attached photo.
Regards
Matti
-
Another try to show the picture.
