Hey Everbody,
I'm Alex and I'm looking for advise regarding the purchase of a new (compact) camera + housing.
I currently own an Olympus SP510 with a Ikelite housing and a single INON D-2000s strobe. This set-up was bought 5-6 ago and I used it intensively till about 1.5 years ago. Since then I've not used it for several reasons. I also own an Olympus E-520, which I use top side.
I really want to get started again with underwater photography and I've been searching on the internet for information. First I was looking for information regarding the Olympus XZ-2, but as I understand now, at this moment the Sony RX100 II is the best compact camera for underwater photography.
I (like most people) don't have an unlimited budget to spend on a new set-up and that is where the RX100 II is troubling me.
The RX100 II (€620) alone costs nearly as much as the XZ-2 with Olympus housing (€670). And Ikelite housing for the RX100 II will cost about €350. I'm wondering, is the XZ-2 so much worse compared to the RX100 II that it justifies spending €300 more on it? That money could also be used to buy a second (used) strobe.
Recently I came across a offer on a Olympus PEN E-PL3 with an Olympus housing for €750, but since the is a relative old model I don't know how it will compare to the XZ-2 or RX100 II.
For anyone how would like to give me some advise, this is what I'm looking for in a new camera set-up:
- Compact size (my current Ikelite housing is huge).
- Must be able to work with my current strobe.
- Image quality; I won't be printing larger that A3.
I hope you can give me some advice on what to buy, because I'm not sure what to do.
Alex.