How many folk out there have a focus ring for their Nikon 105VR? And use it?
The lens does tend to "hunt" and I'm wondering if using manual override, as it's an A/M setting, would help get me closer to focus before the AF kicks in.
I'm not currently using the AE-L "thumb" method of focus - instead simply half-press shutter for focus.
but you are aware that the 105 is not a zoom lens.....what u want a zoom ring for?
aaah...you probabyl mean a focus gear but not a zoom ring
I do have one (focus ring) and also use it occasionally, but most with AF
I use an xit404 focus ring for my 105 Vr in an Aquatica AD800 housing. I now consider it an indispensible accessory when shooting macro.
but you are aware that the 105 is not a zoom lens.....what u want a zoom ring for?
aaah...you probabyl mean a focus gear but not a zoom ring
I do have one (focus ring) and also use it occasionally, but most with AF
Yes - I meant a focus ring!
Thank you for the clarification - I have amended the posting with that correction.
I use the 105 2.8G with the focus gear, using manual focus override much more than I expected I would. I do use the AE-L button for focus, b/c I can hold it and shoot both faster and more accurately.
I shoot in autofocus only because that's the only option I have. Hunting is not the issue for me, it's precise focus. My solution is to shoot in focus priority, get closer than minimum working distance and slowly back up. Hwever it's very fustrating waiting for the computer to decide the shot is in focus when it looks great to me.
Tom
Hi,
I use the Auto Focus "once" method on my d800. It has a proper naming, but I can't remember.
By Setting it up properly I use the AF_ON button.
I Focus to the desired distance with the Thumb on the AF-ON. Then I let go of the Button.
That means that the Focus is locked, until I push the AF on button again.
I can then snap away using the Focus.
/Erik
Auto focus will not work on some smaller subjects like a transparent shrimp. Manual focus will really help in such cases. I don't use it often but glad I have the option.