Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Installing Vivid Housings Leak Sentinel V3 on Ikelite Nikon D300s housing?

Started by witchieblackcat ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Installing Vivid Housings Leak Sentinel V3 on Ikelite Nikon D300s housing?

8 posts
  1. I got the Vivid Housings Leak Sentinel V3 for my Ikelite Nikon D300s housing from my LDS. Initially installation was tricky following the instructions on the package:

    1. Remove the control gland
    2. Screw the adapter into the opening
    3. Apply the standard test procedure (see manual)
    

    I was stumped on 1. Remove the control gland!

     

    After talking to my LDS I found out that the instructions are emailed direct rather than come with the package. I soon received them.

     

    3. Installation 
    
    
    The installation procedure depends on the type of the adapter/housing. 
    Instructions for the specific type are included in the product package. 
     
    Leak Sentinel is installed by either replacing the bulkhead, bulkhead cap, or 
    screwed in the corresponding accessory port. For more details, please refer to 
    the instructions in the product package.

    So it looks like the instructions I already had were the ones I needed. But... how does one remove the control gland?

    Another chat with my LDS and I get further instructions from the Leak Sentinel chap.

    To replace the control gland on Ikelite housing, please follow the steps below:
    
    1. Remove the control button using the appropriate hex wrench
    2. Remove the control shaft by pulling it from the inside of the housing through the gland
    3. Use the wrench to unwind the control gland (hexagonal metal part) from the housing
    4. Screw the Leak Sentinel's adapter into the threaded opening in the housing
    5. Apply the standard test procedure (see manual)

    Ok. So I can do step 1. Step 2 works with some of my controls but not others and, more importantly, not the one I want to replace.
    Step 3 doesn't work as the control I want to replace is threaded in and unscrewing it reveals an x-washer which is incredibly difficult to put back in and nothing to unscrew.

    I'm stumped. Does anyone know how to do this before I take it back to the LDS for a refund?

    Thanks

    Edited by witchieblackcat
  2. I'd email Miso directly at Vivid Housings. He is most responsive on installation problems.

     

    info@vividhousings.com

  3. The control parts are actually two pieces. there is a inter piece that has threads on it kinda like a stud and a outer piece that had threads inside it kinda like a nut. You have to remove both pieces and any retaining nut that may bo on the inside of the housing. See the attached picture.

     

     

     

     

     

    post-2195-0-49281200-1384362930_thumb.jpg

  4. Thanks Bill

     

    It's the threaded bolt in the middle of your picture I can't remove. I've got the outer nut off as well as the control and have no retaining nut fitted.

    What do I used to remove the threaded bolt in the middle of your picture? Pliers seem like an easy way to ruin the threads if I ever wanted to replace it.

    Alistair

  5. Here are a couple of suggestions. Caution the parts are made out of brass and then chrome plated so there somewhat fragile and soft.

     

    Put two nuts on inside the housing locking them together and allow as much room as possible between the nuts and housing. Turn the inter-most nut to loosen the threaded bolt.

     

    Put the nut back on without the o-ring and see if you can get it locked on to the threaded bolt and use that to turn it out. You may want to put a small washer in the nut to take up some space between the nut and bolt head.

     

    Put a odd ball nut inside that will not properly thread on to the bolt and try to turn the threaded bolt out.

     

    Once you get the threaded bolt loose it should turn freely.

  6. Hi witchieblackcat. Thanks a lot for starting this thread. I recently got a Leak Sentinel V3 for an Ikelite D800 housing, and I ran into the same problem immediately. Were you able to find a good solution? I'm going to give one of blibecap's suggestions a shot. I really appreciate those. They sound like great ideas to me.

  7. Update: I just managed to get the Leak Sentinel installed! The oddball threaded bolt trick helped get it started, then a pair of long nose locking pliers (with a bit of electrical tape on the tips to protect the threads) helped twist it the rest of the way out. Thanks for your help blibecap!

     

    post-47356-0-77257700-1405050243_thumb.jpg

  8. Hi Mike,

     

    I got a refund being as the Leak Sentinel doesn't actually fit in any of the places you might like to put it on a D300s housing. I keep thinking about trying something else but haven't done anything about it so far.

     

    Alistair

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.