Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sea Of Love IMAX teaser

Started by Drew ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea Of Love IMAX teaser

10 posts
  1. Wetpixel member Jon Shaw is the cameraman behind the 3Deep Housing for the Sea of Love teaser. I believe Pawel's housing uses dual Nikonos 15mm lenses in side by side configuration with Red Epic cameras.

     

    Congrats on the nice work, Jonny! I wish you were shooting a ½" sensor camera so you could shoot the over/under shot of breaching humpback. Can't wait to see it on the big screen.

    http://vimeo.com/76025643

     

    Here are a few jpeg grabs from the 5k RAW:

    http://www.4k.com.au/5k/

    Edited by Drew
  2. Whoa!!!! Brilliant work. When can we see the complete film?

     

    Steve

  3. Very nice Jon!

  4. Brilliant stuff Jon. Now I really wish I join the trip. Is there a clip with the 3D version you could share?

     

    Looks like there is zero hint of magenta problem.

     

    The last bit is priceless.

     

    cheers

    David

  5. Here is the 3D version Dave, vimeo doesn't do it any justice. I have had been able to watch a few times on the big screen with a 2K 3D projector and it looks bloody amazing!

     

    http://vimeo.com/75123447

     

    Thanks guys, it was a pretty special shoot were everything just seamed to go right and that last shot was just super lucky in so many ways! We shot so much and have so much content it is unbelievable that mother and calf was just so special. On a few days we had to call it quits due to filling cards (512 GB) and the whales were still showing off for us.

     

    You are correct Dave, no magenta issues. Pawel is a very clever chap and he has designed and manufactured two types of filter, one which is really strong and stops 2 stops of light but makes the blues absolutely nuclear and one which I used the whole time which only stops 1/2 a stop but solves the magenta issue as far as I can tell. What really spun me out was the fact that we were shooting 2 3D rigs which a team of three, I was able to be in the water and shooting within seconds and we didn't have a single technical issue in 2 weeks.

  6. Wow, I can only echo the other comments. Really amazing trailer. I can't wait to see the finished, full length product.

  7. Jonny, I don't know if it's my browser but it won't pick up the Vimeo 3D tag for some reason. I had to download the video. I'm moving this to the 3D section. I guess these questions would be for Pawel but I found the fixed parallax content adjusted in post to suit more close to medium distance objects. Once the humpback is about 5+m or more away, the 3D effect isn't convincing (for lack of a better word). The bubbles were very effective in 3D but the rest of the whale seemed flatter in a few shots.

    Edited by Drew
  8. Fantastic. Just watched it in 3D , and even with the limited res of SBS, it still looks stunning. Hoping I get the chance to watch it in full IMAX format. Agree with Drew about the medium to close shots working better with 3D, but that's to be expected with a fixed IA.

    Must have been an unbelievable experience.

  9. Drew, yep definitely a question for Pawel, however he is away on a dive trip way up north for a month. From my limited 3D knowledge this cut was made for the big screen and the bigger the screen the less you want to push the parralax, small screen you can go alot further. This is a totally different film when played on a large screen, the 3D really does pop, a lot of the shots are subtile but very easy on the eye. If you are ever over here in Sydney I'm sure we could organise something.

  10. OMG!! Imax!! yes, count me in, for sure!

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.