Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Definitive Nikon vs Canon Underwater Shootout

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Definitive Nikon vs Canon Underwater Shootout

18 posts
  1. Looks like they are getting a good rince......ouch

  2. Ouch, that must have hurting....

     

    I am impressed that they managed to have a laugh about it

     

    /Erik

  3. Wow! When they clean their sensors, they REALLY clean their sensors! :)

  4. If you can't laugh a little after making a stupid mistake, you're wound much too tightly. I hope it was the floodee holding the cams in the photos??

     

    PS> I have recently installed a vacuum system before this happens to me.

     

    Looking forward to the review. Placing my $$ on Nikon for macro subjects.

  5. I'm betting on Canon. They get extra credit for supplying hi end housing for the local Lembeh Coconut Octopi.

     

     

     

    post-4526-0-51953400-1384741552_thumb.jpg

     

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  6. You don't want to look - but you just have to!

  7. I find it amazing that this has caused such angry reactions from some people! Check out the comments at the bottom of the article.

     

    Just to reiterate, no cameras were harmed in the production of this piece. They were the "victims" of accidental floods that we took back in (once they had been determined as destroyed) to have some fun with.

     

    If you haven't already looked-you should take a peak. Please keep your humor head on though :)

     

    Adam

  8. Thanks Adam. I just read some of the comments. Made for some good reading to start off my day. It's funny how riled up some people get. They don't even take the time to read the full article or thread before making comments.

  9. Some of those comments are crazy. Almost as funny as the pictures!

  10. Given some of the comments, perhaps this "showdown" should have been saved for an April 1 posting...

  11. Looking at the reactions looks like the keyboard warriors have a bee in their bonnet!

  12. Some people just can't take a joke! I keep a D70 that I flooded many years ago as a "stunt camera". It is great fun to "accidentally" drop it in the pool or fall in with it during pool parties. :)

  13. Four years ago I flooded my Nikon D200 in Alaska (pilot error). I made a short video called "Don't Try This With Your Camera." Here's the link:

  14. Love the video, I am always paranoid about flooding my Ikelite housing. I'm not so worried about the camera body, (Nikon D50, plenty of them kicking about), it's the Sigma 10-20 that's attached to it!!

    I recently dived to a wreck here in the North Sea. the wreck is at 60m. I made a serious error whilst kitting up; I plugged air as my diluent gas for my rebreather and not the trimix I was carrying.

    (I am Mr Narcosis and when diving air I'm generally off my tits at 30m), I did feel funny when descending but after checking my handsets/ computers/ gauges etc they all showed OK so I put it down to the rather hot curry I had consumed the night before. Needless to say at 60m I was a gibbering wreck and could not gather enough brain power to successfully take any pictures, (despite my best attempts at "fiddling" with the controls, according to my buddy). I eventually shouted at the damn thing attached it to a delayed SMB and sent it to the surface. The skipper of the boat had just enough time to get to it before it disappeared below the surface because some "plonker" had only put a "very small" amount of air in the SMB.

    Meanwhile on the bottom of the North Sea blissfully unaware I was trying to figure out why I was still not quite compus mentus.

     

    It only dawned on me as I was ascending and the "fog" lifted from my addled brain what had transpired.

    Luckily for me the deco profile was very similar and a few extra stops just in case!!

     

    Perhaps my greatest relief was that whilst "fiddling" with the camera I did not open the housing!

     

    Safe diving

     

    Lee

    Edited by diverdad
  15. Haha great! The definitive gallows humor for a UW-photographer. (Or sould it be flooding-humor..)

     

    //O

  16. Four years ago I flooded my Nikon D200 in Alaska (pilot error). I made a short video called "Don't Try This With Your Camera." Here's the link:

    Love the video!

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.