Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Second connector port for strobe

Started by Guillaume L ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Second connector port for strobe

6 posts
  1. Has anyone ever rewired the TTL converter connection port to allow another strobe to be connected directly?

     

    I use a Sea&Sea DX200 which (annoyingly) has only one connection for a strobe and one for the TTL converter which I loathe. The end story is that I need a secondary double adapter to plug in both strobes. It's an annoying device which is cable tied to one of my strobe arms. Not only does it encourage entanglements but I think it broke during my last dive. This leaving me with two functioning strobes but only one that is directly connectable. FYI I shoot fisheye, so a slave strobe doesn't work for me.

     

    If anyone has any budget conscious suggestions, that would be most appreciated.

    Edited by Guillaume L
  2. Have you tried running the strobe directly off the "converter" port? I remember (dimly) that on the Canon housings at least both worked fine for the strobe.

    Bill

  3. Yes I've tried that. It doesn't work :(

     

    My two sync cords still work, but I have no means of connecting them in a way that makes me happy.

     

    I found the 'best' solution for me at the moment - buy a twin sync cord. It meant spending more money but hey that's underwater photography.

  4. hi guis,

    the converter port is dedicated to S&S converter, connecting directly a strobe can cause a damage to the strobe (or to the control circuit inside the housing). But you can make e "modification", simply bypassing the electronic circuit that connect the port converter to the hot shoe camera plug in. It means to realize a "parallel" connection absolutely equivalent to the non-converted plug. Ok, I've a MDX – D300 and I use the S&S Y cable to connect a couple of YS120 to the housing. In other words I haven't tried the customization, but I believe that it can be done!

     

    The true disadvantage using the Y cable is the short length of the cable branches. I don't know why S&S doesn't purchase a really long Y cable.

     

    On my MDX D800 there is the same problem, but (worst) S&S on MDX D800 allow to mount only one connector (sold as spare part ….grrrr). In the next months I'll try to solve this trouble (I'd like to mount a second flash connector using the closed hole on housing top...), if you are interested to I'll keep you posted on the developments :bye:

     

    bye

    Edited by vbpress
  5. An update would be great, thanks

  6. Hi Guillaume,

    finally I realized the second connection. It's a very simple operation witch needs only a few instruments and some patience.

    I've told about this on my blog here:

     

    http://fotobestiali.blogspot.it/p/sea-mdx-d800.html

     

    You have to go down at the end of the post. Here you can find a lot of pictures explaining "how to do".

    Sorry but at the moment the description is in in Italian and I've to confess that it was just hard to explain every passage even in my native language!!

     

    bye

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.