Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Foam for increasing bouyancy

Started by herbko ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Foam for increasing bouyancy

4 posts
  1. Foam for increasing bouyancy

    I remember somebody posted a site for buying foam pads to increase the bouyancy of your rig. Would someone with that info please post it again. I can't find it.

     

    Thanks.

  2. I think that was on DD

  3. It was DD. Here is one such link.

     

    What you need is a foam that is closed cell and has compressive strength. Boat coring materials have these qualities and are salt water resistant. Choose a heavier foam so that it has some impact resistance. I've used Divynicell and expanded PVC foam. I finish mine with 15 minute epoxy and microballoons (hobby shop) to give it additional impact toughness. Then I paint it black.

  4. Herb,

     

    Two months ago, in an attempt to emulate craig's suggestions, I ended up with my version of buoyancy arms using "local" material:

     

    I went with a product called "Core Cell A". It was the material being used by a local ship builder. It comes in 1/2" sheets, very light, very durable. Recently, I put 25 shore dives on my strobe arm and did not see any noticeable deterioration. I did not finish mine, leaving the exterior as is. I used Devcon Two Ton Epoxy to glue sections together.

     

    My rig (c 4040, Ike housing, pair DS 125's, 2 controllers, 1.25" dia. strobe arms) topside weighs @ 16 pounds. I measured it to be close to 4 pounds negatively buoyant in salt water. After installing the Core Cell components ( as photographed) the resulting negative buoyancy of the complete rig became a mere 13 ounces.

     

    For more info:

    http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.p...id=5613;start=0

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.