Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

S95 settings help

Started by g3cko ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

S95 settings help

3 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I have some questions about my uw setup, which consists of a s95 w/canon housing and a ys-110a strobe. I'm a little confused with how the Av mode works on my S95, specifically how shutter speed is calculated.

     

    It seems that when I turn the flash on, the camera almost always (unless pointing directly into a light) sets the shutter speed to 1/60. I know it's not hard locking it to this because if I point it directly at a light it will change the shutter speed to something faster.

     

    Are there any settings that I'm missing to get the camera to use a faster shutter speed in Av mode when using a strobe? As it is now, I am (usually) shooting at f/8 and iso 80 (not auto). Should I try putting the iso on auto and setting the max iso low to something like 640 or 400? Or is the better answer to just shoot in full manual mode?

     

    My last dive I was testing out the TTL for macro with my strobe, which IIRC, requires aperture or shutter priority to work, but if that's at the cost of a faster shutter speed, it's probably not worth it.

     

    Any thoughts/suggestions? Also sharing a pic from yesterday for fun/thanks for any help (I know there another place to post for critiques).

     

    f/8, iso 80, 1/60 +7 macro diopter from a socal shore dive. very minimal post

     

    Thanks!

     

    post-42742-0-90163700-1386474807_thumb.jpg

  2. All canon cameras default to 1/60 shutter speed when shooting in Av and flash in auto. It is a limitation of the set up that creates major problems for underwater photos.

     

    The standard solution is to shoot in manual and increase shutter speed to at least 1/125 to eliminate motion blur and even 1/250 or 1/500 for macro however the strobe will only work in slave manual mode

     

    Alternatively you can try the CHDK and my script to enable TTL in manual mode if you want to use the strobe still in TTL

  3. Ah, ok. Thanks for the info/explanation! Also, I hadn't heard of the CHDK before, that sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.