Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Housings in the swimming Pool - Pressure?

Started by TomUK ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

Housings in the swimming Pool - Pressure?

19 posts
  1. I have just bought a D7000 Ikelite housing and associated bits.

    My question is:

     

    1. I read everywhere that the pressure from the water helps hold the housing and the port etc together. I will initially be playing in a swimming pool and doubt getting deeper than a few metres, so am assuming there will be little to no pressure on my side.

    This is a worry, should it be?

     

    2. Chlorine pools. I have an acrylic port. I intend on washing the whole setup in the shower after use. Sessions may last upto 2 hours before being washed.

    This will be fine right?


    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. Dont worry about using it in a pool. The clamps and the port clips put enough pressure on it. Just take care preparing.

     

    Swimming pool water won't kill the port when you use it but afterwards if you don't rinse/ soak

     

    It's better to soak ( which is also shallow) then to use a shower. But you can easily do the first bit in the shower in the pool and give it a soak later.

     

     

  3. Cerianthus,

     

    Thanks for that. I plan on showering with the setup, and then transferring it home in a cool box (without water) but still together, and then just filling it with fresh water on my return. Journey time should never be longer than an hour, that way i can get the equipment home and give it a good chance to dry properly before packing it all back into its pelicase.

  4. The shower is a luxury. I had the ikelite housing out in egypt for 2 consecutive dives, only using a damp towel to keep it from drying. So warm, salt etc. no problem, just give it a soak when you can.

  5. Thanks again! While I have got you.

     

    I am wondering about the "0" rings. Do you remove them and put them in a sealable plastic bag or do you leave them insitu?

  6. I remove the port, but I leave the main oring. I don't keep it compressed (the latches are open)

  7. Dont worry about using it in a pool. The clamps and the port clips put enough pressure on it.

     

    Unfortunately, this isn't quite true and there is a growing interest in vacuum seal systems (pioneered by Hugyfot) and vacuum leak detection. Gentle pressure, as provided by the clamps and clips, isn't enough to lock the seals tightly: most leaks occur in shallow water and in the dunk tank...

  8. I dont agree. On the Ikelite housings, the clamps squeeze the main oring. You can see by the black line the oring is not just touching but pressed ( a face seal). The port is a barrel seal , it doesn't need pressure but does need to stay in its place.So don't yank the port and don't twist the dome if your using the shortest port body.

     

    I jumped from the Valkyrie ( hardboat) with Ikelite housing, shortest port body and 8 inch done and haven't had a problem.

     

  9. I dont agree. On the Ikelite housings, the clamps squeeze the main o-ring.

     

    You may not agree, but don't rely on the clamps as a foolproof answer to leaks!

     

    All locking systems squeeze the housing's o-ring, but if there is grit or movement, the seal can be broken. Increasing the pressure outside the housing improves the seal; decreasing the pressure inside the housing also improves the seal. This is why so many leaks occur in the dunk bucket: Ikelite housings are certainly not immune...

     

    I've jumped from Valkyrie without leaks, too, but I'm not reassured after recent experiences in Lembeh, and it hasn't stopped me investing in a vacuum system!

    Edited by tdpriest
  10. Thanks for the thoughts guys, it really is helpful. I think I will be purchasing a vacuum setup. Will do some research on the different brands.

     

    I have been quite surprised about the 4 port clips, and how small/ delicate they seem.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11.  

    , but I'm not reassured after recent experiences in Lembeh, and it hasn't stopped me investing in a vacuum system!

     

    Tim, not more problems?

  12.  

    Tim, not more problems?

     

    A reaction to someone else's problems!

    Edited by tdpriest
  13. thanks for all the feedback guys! I have been playing in the pool and so far so good. I am looking at investing in the vacuum kit, it really does seem a no brainer.

  14. Definitely make sure to soak that housing instead of just the shower.

     

    My two cents ; )

     

    ~Abi

  15. Definitely make sure to soak that housing instead of just the shower. 

     

    My two cents ; )

     

    ~Abi

    Thanks Abi,

     

    I have bought a cool box and drop it straight into that as soon as I get out of the water. I then transport it home in the cool box and fill up and leave to soak for a couple of hours :)

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  16. Needn't to worry about in pool. Even a plastic case can do a good job.

  17. You're fine in the pool, IF you wash in tap water, afterward (and soak in a tub of tap water, too, just like you'd been in the ocean).

     

    The dome port is non-reactive to chlorine. Your buttons may color just a bit (it is an oxidizer, after all).

     

    On the o-rings, always remove after each use (ports and housing gaskets), as they will get "flat" and not seal.

  18. Thanks for all your feedback :) I have done 20+ pool sessions and so far so good. I'm always surprised by the movement between the port and the case but all seems good so far.

  19. Hey

     

    I have several underwater housings operating in chlorine pools daily. We've never washed/rinsed any of them - never had a flood.

     

    Ikelite gear.

     

    Cheers

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.