Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Backscatter? Circles

Started by bmorescuba ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Backscatter? Circles

3 posts
  1. As I begin to get a little beyond the basics, there is one mystery which keeps popping up again and again. The attached files illustrate what is hard to explain.

     

    Shooting Setup:

    Canon 550d

    S&S RDX-550D housing, standard flat port

    60mm Macro lens

    1x S&S YS-110a strobe

     

    When processing my raw files in Lightroom, I often find mysterious large circles which are lighter than the surrounding area, especially in dark sections of the photo. Perhaps they are everywhere in the photos and only visible in darker backgrounds - not sure. These are distinct from normal backscatter. Sometimes i can just edit them out, but I'd really like to know why they occur in the first place. Are they a different type of backscatter? Are they because of unclean glass somewhere in the light path? Is at a fundamental flaw in my technique? I have seen them in others' online galleries, so whatever causes them, it's not unique to me.

     

    "20131120-IMG_9966.jpg" is a hawkfish photo I was editing today when I saw the circles.

    "circ1.jpg" is a crop of that pic with some of the mystery circles underlined (it's also been altered to make them more obvious)

     

    I would love to know what causes this phenomenon and, more importantly, how to avoid it in the future.

     

    Thanks!

     

    post-24977-0-74802400-1386649732_thumb.jpg

    post-24977-0-40135800-1386649734_thumb.jpg

  2. They are out of focus backscatter. The bigger - the more out of focus.

     

    Alex

  3. Thanks Alex! I suspected it might be something like that, but it makes more sense now that you've explained it.

    Edited by bmorescuba
Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.