Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon DF - Why is it not talked about?

Started by johnjvv ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon DF - Why is it not talked about?

12 posts
  1. Hello WP!

     

    Have not stuck my head out here in a while....but I have a baby boy to show off for my recent lack of interest in anything else!!

     

    I am surprised at the lack of excitement over the Nikon DF and cant seem to see interest in it here.

     

    I would have thought this compact version of the D4 would be getting more attention, especially for its ease of manual adjustments....

     

    What am I missing???

     

    Cheers

    John

  2. Hope the wee man is doing well....

     

    Not sure that it would take off - a brand new housing for a camera that may have limited appeal... i think that modern controls are ergononmics have a lot more to offer than the rotatry dials on this camera. i think that you will buy it because of the way it looks rather than functionality?

  3. I am just wondering why anyone would rather take another full frame camera under water if this has the best sensor Nikon offers and more compact than a D800, 600 or 4?

    Edited by johnjvv
  4. I would be astonished if any of the Housing manufacturers are making a Housing for it.

    The reason would be that they would have to do quite a bit of design chages, due to the controls.

     

    I personally by far prefer the controls of a DSLR, but it looks cool.

  5. This is what I wrote on Facebook on its announcement date:

     

    "Let's please hope that no housing manufacturer wastes their effort designing a housing specifically for the DF to go UW. With controls so different from other Nikons - it will be a big, expensive engineering job. People buying this camera want to be seen with it, not have it covered up in waterproofing."

     

    and

     

    " I have no problem with this existing (people buy specific cameras for specific reasons), I would just be disappointed if any housing manufacturer wasted time and effort on a housing. Which would be a complete redesigned compared with their existing Nikon SLR housings - and therefore would take their eye of other products and push up the price of their range."

     

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153432706265713&set=a.129989815712.206702.796325712

     

    Alex

  6. Fair enough Alex, it is a bit of a showy piece however you are still getting D4 quality images from a camera half the price which is appealing to me....plus it is smaller...

  7. I agree with that entirely. Just a pity they didn't offer that sensor in a D800 body.

     

    Alex

  8. Sounds too sensible!

  9. I can't help wondering why Subal is announcing a housing for this camera now (3 years later)

  10. I can't help wondering why Subal is announcing a housing for this camera now (3 years later)

     

    I would say the most likely reason is confirmed orders. I guess some customers made it worth their while.

     

    The alternative is that they know something we don't. They had a D5 before it was announced and maybe they heard something about a DF Mk2 that uses the same body. I suspect the first idea is more likely.

     

    Alex

  11. I own a df and agree that I wondered why nobody uses it under water.

    The sensor and its high ISO capability, as well as color are excellent and I am sure would lead to great images under water.

    Also its quite small for a DSLR.

     

    I use m43 under water anyways.

  12. Isn't it true that the DF doesn't do video?

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.