Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Need Jellyfish ID

Started by TreasureGuard ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Need Jellyfish ID

8 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

     

    I'm having problems to ID the Jellyfish in this picture. I have already gone through the galleries of the major taxonomic sites and tried my luck through google search.

    Any jellyfish specialists out there? Or any good Jelly specific ID site?

     

    Any suggestion welcome.

     

    Thank you.

     

    post-23622-0-13204400-1387417800_thumb.jpg

  2. I've no idea but it is a beautiful photo

  3. How beautiful!

    Where was this? What time of year? How big?

    We have many sea jellies in Florida and they seem more prominent in the Fall.

    They don't look like yours though :)

  4. I took this picture in October 2013, Savu Sea in Indonesia. The jellyfish was approx. 40-50 cm long.

  5. Great shot!

  6. I know I am late to the party, but have the same question:

    I have a very similar shot, same species of fish (which i agree with your input), but I have narrowed it down to Thysanostoma thysanuran or Thysanostoma loriferum. This is the only site, with a scientific background that has any details of this jellyfish. It is in Chinese, but a translator works good. http://fishdb.sinica.edu.tw/chi/importpic.php?id=T04

  7. I've narrowed down a similar shot to either Thysanostoma loriferum or T. flagellatum. It seems an expert would need to have one to determine the difference. I'm going with Thysanostoma loriferum. 
     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.