Drew,
How are you thinking of having it configured given you are a video guy?
The six-core version seems popular thus far (Lloyd Chambers & MacRumors blog sites). 4K monitor looks very interesting but very expensive right now, maybe in a couple of years they will be more mainstream and less expensive.
Tom
Tom
The problem with setting up a workstation for video nowadays is a lot more complicated with the advent of RAW codecs and how programs handle it. Adobe production CC throws quite a bit of the processing to GPU (CUDA) for playback(previews) but when it comes time to render in After Effects and Premiere, cores and memory matters.
Photoshop (and I assume Lightroom), Aperture never seem to use more than 50-60% of cores at any time, so clockspeed is more essential. So 6 cores is the sweetspot as the clockspeed is high with TURBO and there. So funnily enough, the 12 core will run slower than the 6 core with Photoshop and the various plug-ins which don't utilize more than 4 cores usually.
Anyhow here is my config. I plan to get 64GB RAM from 3rd parties.
Hardware
- 2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache
- 16GB (4x4GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
- 1TB PCIe-based flash storage
- Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each
Whats the view on making a Hackintosh with similar specs - possible / worth it ?
I would think speccing out a Hackintosh (DISCLAIMER: It's not technically legal!) would mean you can go above the Mac Pro specs. It's a lot more work though!
It's looking like it will be backordered until February.
My current Mac Pro has three 4TB internal drives plus the 1TB boot drive. What do I do with these other internal drives?
You will have to get a Thunderbolt enclosure to house those 3.5" drives. Drobo, La Cie, Areca, Promise and a few others make Thunderbolt enclosures but Promise's Pegasus series only comes with drives I believe. I have a Drobo mini with 4x2tb for travel storage but haven't decided how to go about rearranging my SAN connections. The SANLink from Promise looks good.
Apple has locked buyers with the PCIe flash storage. It's not easily available from 3rd parties so it's just more convenient to just buy the 1TB for $800 more.