I’ve been practicing with various lenses while trying to learn my new D800 (purchased late 2013 with up to date firmware).
While I remain amazingly impressed at the level of detail that can be captured, I’ve become increasingly frustrated on lack of sharp focus.
To date, I’ve tried multiple lenses including Nikon 105VR, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 24-85VR, Sigma 15 FE, Tokina 17 f3.5.
I’ve shot through wide ranges of apertures and shutter speeds on all the lenses both hand-holding and tripod mounted.
Consistently all images lack sharp focus. Not surprisingly the zoom was the worst of the bunch.
The most frustrating aspect is that while on the tripod I manually focused the 105VR & “know” that a series of images were in sharp focus as seen through the viewfinder – yet these images appear just as soft as all the others when viewed in LightRoom4.
Exposure has also been a big issue, but there is no improvement in overall image when changing from Matrix metering to center-weighted.
In addition to an absolutely miniscule/ non-existant DOF, I come away with the feeling that the camera is fixing on a point behind the chosen focal point. I can only somewhat see this in some 50mm 1.8 images where I focused on the forward part of a flower, only to have elements behind the focus point appear in slightly sharper focus.
While the 50mm is the only new lens, purchased as new, & is the “best” of the lot in producing sharper images, it still does not demonstrate the level of sharpness I would expect. This leads me to wonder if the lenses are “off” and/or may need service. I have read (in on-line rants) that lens calibration is a necessary “evil” associated with the D800.
I’m aware of the semi-automatic home version, FoCal. I’m also aware that I have virtually NO idea what I would be doing using it.
Another option would be to send camera and all lenses to Nikon Service in Los Angeles (or personally deliver) for service/ calibration. (Anyone know if they service and calibrate non-Nikon gear?)
A looming issue is that I have a dive-photo-trip coming up in Feb 2014 and need this focus issue resolved before then.
I am willing and interested to hear anyone’s thoughts?
[i recognize that posting some images would be helpful, however I have no idea where or how to host 34.8MB NEF images. It seems pointless to show images that have been compressed to web-sized JPG.]