Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Ballonfish Eyes

Started by laz217 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Ballonfish Eyes

3 posts
  1. Ballonfish Eyes

    Does anyone know any information on what causes and what use does the Ballonfish have for this strange blue/green pattern across its eyes?

     

    puffereye.jpg

  2. Hi!

     

    You should enter the image in this weeks POTW contest. Topic "eye contact"!

     

    Helge ;-)=)

  3. We have a few fish up north in BC that have a similar effect, of which the most familiar is a Red Irish Lord. Some fish have more colouration than others. I have a similar shot of a Balloonfish eye with none of the colour effect (darn!). I have heard it is a type of naturally occuring bacteria that cause it, but that may be just diver tales!

    I have attached one of these to show the similarity.

    Marli

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.