Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Arms how long?

Started by Nemo ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Arms how long?

4 posts
  1. I am curious about the length of strobe arms any others are using when shooting large subjects with a wide angle lens. As a reference I have a Inon 100 degree lens on a Tetra and DX90 strobes.

  2. I have Ultralight arm sets which I use w/ 2 8" arm sections on each side. That gives me about 40" of spread.

     

    More is better of course, but there is a point where your setup can get unwieldy.

     

    Click here for a photo:

     

    http://www.reefpix.org/modules/My_eGallery...test/1setup.jpg

     

    HTH

    James Wiseman

  3. I normally use a ULCS 5" arm plus an 8" arm. If I know I want more spread, I substitute 8" arms in for the 5" arms. Though I haven't convinced myself to get any 12" segments yet, as I've been thinking more about this I've come to realize that there are other advantages to long arms other than just more spread. For example, you can more easily get the strobes at lens level a medium distance out if you have two long segments (by making a "V"). When putting your arm system together make sure to remember that the clamps are not zero-length. Each clamp on my ULCS system adds about 3" to the overall arm length.

  4. I should have been more clear in the above post. I was describing one arm; i.e., an arm comprising a 5" section and an 8" section; not a 5" arm on one side of the housing and an 8" arm on the other. I actually use two arms (one for each strobe), each comprising a 5" segment, an 8" segment and three clamps . . .

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.