Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Pool test kit

Started by smk82 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Pool test kit

4 posts
  1. I'm thinking about setting up a mini "test kit" for use in the pool so I can practice with settings and composition. Basically using a plastic crate with fake fish/plants etc attached. Ideas on how I could go about this/set it up?

  2. You may also think about getting a tarp or something to block out a lot of light if you intend to use strobes.

  3. I've used a plastic Stingray toy tied to a lead weight...

     

    post-4522-0-13945800-1391525981_thumb.jpg



    You may also think about getting a tarp or something to block out a lot of light if you intend to use strobes.

     

    As balanced light is probably the most important way to construct an underwater image, I certainly wouldn't suggest practicing in the dark.

  4. I used a large ceramic tile and glued on plastic dinosaurus, but whatever "thing" is fine
    some considerations:
    - different colors and shapes
    - you need a dark, non reflective tile or a weight to avoid that the float around or fall when you move around in the pool
    - glue them on all places on the tile to play with DOF
    - instead of a tarp you can di night dives to simulate dark environments or photographing during night dives
    - a grey/black backdrop will help to avoid reflections from light colored or reflective pool tiles

    - take a slate with you to note settings or remarks
    and don't forget to have fun!
    Chris

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.