Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Best "Silent" SLR or Mirrorless Camera?

Started by james ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Best "Silent" SLR or Mirrorless Camera?

5 posts
  1. Hi Gang,

    Long time no see!

    I've been shooting a lot of dance lately, and my 1DsIII body is just too darn loud to shoot in a packet theater. It makes a HUGE click every time you fire the shutter.

    I'd like to get a good quiet camera and have been looking for my options. Of course I'll keep my 1D series + seacam for underwater use but would love to get a "quiet" camera that is also good for underwater use.

    To fill all those requirements I need something with:

     

    A decent viewfinder

    GREAT continuous autofocus

    A fast stabilized sport lens (I currently shoot w/ the Canon 70-200 IS f2.8)

    Good wideangle and fisheye options

    Good housing available (I have Subal and Seacam ports but am willing to switch)

    What are your thoughts?

    Cheers
    James

  2. I think, by the sound if it, you are looking for a sound blimp for your camera. If you are not familiar with them, they are a housing, just like what you have for underwater use and is primarily used by photographers who work on films set, theatre, or anywhere else that you need to silence the camera. Never used one, but I assume it is much lighter than the UW setup.

     

    Hope this helps

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc

  3. Hi James!

    Welcome back, maybe time to go check out that 5D Mk III with shutter mode on "silent"..

     

    Probably lots of other options, but it would your AF and viewfinder needs.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  4. Pentax K-5 and K-3 (maybe the whole K serie) has a soft shutter sound.

    But I guess 5D mkIII is a better match for the lenses you already have.

  5. Thanks guys - I went online and had a look at some of the 5DmkIII videos to hear the "silent shutter" mode. And while it is quiet (and would use all my lenses) I'm not sure it's quiet enough. Off to the camera shop!

    I must say I'm also intriqued by the new Oly - but the housings only look marginally smaller than my Seacam lol.

    Cheers

    James

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.