Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon 14-24 f2.8 on FF

Started by buddy ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon 14-24 f2.8 on FF

5 posts
  1. I am using the Nikon 16-35 on FX with a large Dome port now (Subal DP-230). Albeith this is a good and handy lens for underwater usage, I'm still looking at the 14-24 f2.8 for its better IQ especially at the wide end. And yes, I am aware that this lens is some 325 grams heavier than the 16-35.

     

    Going soon to Cocos for large pelagics and eventually will switch to the 14-24.

     

    Is there anybody with same or similar configuration having real underwater experience with this lens? I did a search here but did not really find much...

    thanks

     

    Juerg

  2. I know that Alex Mustard posted that he was less than impressed with the performance of the 14-24 and recommends the 16-35 for WA zoom. His words were "I've shot it, but I don't rate it for all around underwater use anywhere close to the 16-35. The corner performance just isn't good enough. I think it can be useful for shooting big animals in the blue - but unless this is the only type of photography you do - I think you'd end up owning both lenses" http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49620

    Edited by diverdoug1
  3. I just realized that you were the OP in the post I referred to, sorry.

  4. I am using the Nikon 16-35 on FX with a large Dome port now (Subal DP-230). Albeith this is a good and handy lens for underwater usage, I'm still looking at the 14-24 f2.8 for its better IQ especially at the wide end.

     

    The best advice seems to be: don't!

  5. Slightly off topic, but if you're not aware of it its worth noting that the 14-24 requires a ring with larger inner diameter in the front end. That means you will need to put the lens on from the front after you put the camera in the housing, as it doesn't go through the ring from the back. It can be a hassle, specially in the field.

     

    I damaged the lens doing that, the aperture got stuck. Repairable, but still.

     

    I can confirm the corner sharpness is not optimal, but I have only compared with the 16mm. However, shooting pelagic you should be able to get around that.

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

    Edited by Oceanus
AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.